Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trader Joes Tri Tip....nuh-uh

Options
I tried the Santa Maria style tri-tip.  I didn't care for it at all.  It was packaged in a solution and I think that might have been the problem.  The meat just tasted "off"...like some kind of Hormel something or other.  It didn't taste like beef.  Just thought I would share.  Lots of good stuff at Trader Joes, but if you are a lover of tri tip I think you might be disappointed in this one. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• SmokinOutBack
    Options
    I agree 100%..I love Trader Joes but their tri-tip is not good at all. Tri-tip is hard to find in these parts, Wegmans carry them sometimes, but at $11.99 lb! I get my neighbor the butcher to get them for me when he can.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Springram
    Options
    I have cooked several Tri-Tips on my Egg. All turned out just like you want...like a poor man's prime rib. THEN I found a Tri-Tip at Trader Joe's. Cooked it like I always do - medium rare. It was the toughest piece of meat I have ever had. Maybe just a bad cow but I have not been back since.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I am a lover of the Trader Joes Tri Tip, what I have been doing with mine is slow cook at 225 with Place Setter in legs down till I hit about 110 internal.

Pull the meat out take out PS and drop a grate on the fire and raise up the temp to around 600. Sear both sides for about 90sec, 

Let it rest for about 10Min or so and then slice. Been the one of the best I've had.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.