Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Newbies First Cooks from NC

Hello everyone! Bought my first BGE-XL a couple of weeks ago and I have been trolling the forum here for tips and ideas.  Fortunate to to have this site as it is such a great resource of information and it has been extremely helpful!

I have included a few photos of my first cooks.  The first was a spatchcock chicken and pork tenderloin...yes I initially forgot the drip pan as I was "caught up in the moment"... but they both turned out great!  The second is my first attempt at chicken bombers or bombs?.  Trader Joes in WS NC sells boneless skinless thighs which worked out perfectly.  Manchego and garlic filler, hmmm.  The next one is my first pork butt on the BGE.  Modified "cazzy turbo style" with what I call a cheater glaze to help with the bark (a little unconventional but it works). The first pic is fat side up the second is bottom side up which is where the cheater glaze comes into play.  Look forward to learning from all of the information and posts on this forum!
Michael ~ XL ~ Winston Salem, NC
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,408
    Welcome. Great first cooks. You are well on your way to joining the madness. Keep posting.
  • Looks like you're off to a great start! Welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome to the cult! I just noticed a new member from Thomasville yesterday, glad to see more eggers from N.C.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Welcome! Great first cooks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,592
    Awesome first cooks!  Tell us more about this cheater glaze.  Is it just a sugary glaze that burns up a little to help the crust form?  It looks excellent! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice
    ·
  • Thanks everyone!

@SmokeyPitt - The cheater glaze is something that I use when I do (or rather used to do) BB's on the kettle grill and it seemed to make sense for this turbo method.  It is a reduction of hard cider, cornstarch/water and the same rub that I used for the butt.  Cooked normal at 320 dome to 180ish temp, flipped fat side down and put in steam pan then basted with the glaze.  Kept the same dome temp until internal of around 190 and then closed the egg off.  Finish to final temp as the egg cools.  Best BB I have ever done! 
    ·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 237
    welcome - live just south of you between Walburg and Midway...and we know good BBQ since we live near Lexington

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • Welcome! You'll love the ride!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • If thats your 1st cook I cant wait to see your 100th cook that food looks amazing it seems like your well on your way keep doing what you do and keep posting photos 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,373
    Great man!  Good looking food! 

We are very close!  I need to get to Trader Joes's.  A friend of mine was just talking about it and said it is a great place to shop. 
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,308
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·

• pasoegg said:
    welcome - live just south of you between Walburg and Midway...and we know good BBQ since we live near Lexington
    That we do.  Lexington BBQ Fest this weekend!
    ·
  • Great man!  Good looking food! 

We are very close!  I need to get to Trader Joes's.  A friend of mine was just talking about it and said it is a great place to shop. 
    TJ's would be worth trip.  Great place!  ChefSmart is right down the road also and they have pretty good deals on meat and lump.
    ·
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 2,373
    wmtillman said:

pasoegg said:
    That we do.  Lexington BBQ Fest this weekend!
    Love that Lexington BBQ.  However, I will stay away from the festival.  To many people.  I will just hit up Speedy's on a Tuesday night when the crowd is not there.  
    Thanks,

Matthew
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomasville, NC - Large BGE (w/Nest) - Plate Setter - Maverick ET-733 - BBQ Guru Party-Q (new design ) Pizza Stone - BGE V-Rack - Weed Torch (to light egg)

Facebook
    My Photography Site
    ·