Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pumpkin Pie on the BGE (Warning: pic heavy)

dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 465
edited October 2013 in Desserts
Someone else made this recently so the credit goes to them.  I have never made a pumpkin pie except using the canned stuff.  I thought I would document the cook on here in case someone else has the urge to try it.

I bought some pumpkin pie pumpkins from Lowes.

photo IMG_20131014_094453_zps24991fde.jpg

Tried to cut them in half and had a heck of a time doing it.  Ended up cutting them with a wood saw.  I dont know if that means the pumpkins weren't ripe enough or what but I couldn't hack through them with a really sharp kitchen knife.  Anyway, cut them in half and scooped out the guts.

photo IMG_20131014_100836_zpsde0881cf.jpg

Put them on the BGE, indirect at about 350.  They were soft in a little more than an hour.  Here is a tip, put the pumpkins cut side up.  If you put them cut side down (like I did at first) the moisture from the pumpkins leaks out onto the platesetter and causes the egg to smoke.

photo IMG_20131014_115954_zpsc7bf8a6f.jpg

Scooped out the soft pumpkin into a bowl and blended it up.

photo IMG_20131014_121419_zps02c62fa0.jpg

Mixed up the pumpkin pie using a simple recipe found using Google.  http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/18470/libbys-famous-pumpkin-pie/detail.aspx

Here are the ingredients used:

I obviously used my fresh pumpkin in place of the canned stuff.  Mixed it up according to the directions and poured it into the unbaked pie shell.
Grill is a little messy from making country ribs earlier in the day.
Cooked the pie at about 375 indirect until the pie was firm and a butter knife came out of the center clean.

photo IMG_20131014_173017_zps3029741c.jpg

This is the finished product.  The brown parts on the edges are from the pie mixture spilling a bit when I was walking it out to the grill.

photo IMG_20131014_182300_zps2dc4230c.jpg

The pie turned out really good.  Needed to be just a tad sweeter.  Almost tasted like a sweet potato pie.

Overall, I recommend doing one this way.  I love knowing exactly what does into my food instead of just dumping a can or mush into a pie shell.

The pics and the pie arent as pretty as some of the examples people put on the forum but I still consider myself new to this hobby.  Hopefully this will help someone with Thanksgiving coming up soon and all.

-Jody Newell (LBGE, Mini "soon")

Comments