Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef Nachos (pictures included)

Options
As an ATL native, I was really disappointed I didn't get the chance to make it out to the Eggfest this weekend.  I went to the Georgia game up in Athens and had a great time even though the results weren't what we hoping for.

I did make a vow that I would have some delicious food from the Egg this weekend so I put my faith in Griffin and tried his Pulled Beef Nachos.  I've never tried smoking a chuck roast before (never even tried a brisket) so I wasn't too sure how it would all turn out.  I've got to say that I'm floored by how awesome it was!  So a big thanks to Griffin for his recipe.

Started with 3 lb chuck roast from a local meat market.

Rubbed it with some canola oil before applying the Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks rub.  Fantastic rub, wasn't sure about it and thought about making my own rub but my wife convinced me to go ahead and get it.  I'm glad I did and she takes a lot of credit for the flavor of the meat now. :)

The chuck roast after the rub was liberally applied.

Thrown on the grill at a nice 250F.

Griffin's recipe said to foil at 165 degrees but the meat stalled at 149 degrees and after a couple hours, I decided to go ahead and foil a little early.  The next picture is evidence as to where my experience as a food photographer fails me as I forgot to take a picture before I started pulling.  I was able to realize it before I got too far in.

Here are the nachos that my wife made just before throwing the meat on top.

imagePre-oven baking shot.

Finished nachos!!!!!

As I said before, this was a fantastic meal and it will make some awesome tacos later this week. Hope you all enjoy!

Comments

• GoldfishDude
    Options
    Man that looks good. I will have to try this! Thanks!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited October 2013
    Options
    That looks outstanding. Pulled Beef is great. I like to mix some beef broth and onions and jalapeños in with the meat when I foil for an extra added flavor and kick.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Great looking tray of nachos and glad you like the pulled beef.. Hope you had some jalapenos and sour cream to go with them. What kind of wood did you use for smoke?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• StellarEvo
    Options
    That looks outstanding. Pulled Beef is great. I like to mix some beef broth and onions and jalapeños in with the meat when I foil for an extra added flavor and kick.
    That is a great idea!  The rub was pepper heavy so it had a good flavor but I bet the onions and jalapenos really step it up.

Griffin said:
    Great looking tray of nachos and glad you like the pulled beef.. Hope you had some jalapenos and sour cream to go with them. What kind of wood did you use for smoke?
    We did have some diced jalapenos and sour cream.  We actually ran out of sour cream so it was kind of sparse.  I used hickory wood for this cook.  I think it came out really well.  My wife commented on how moist and flavorful it was.

She has added your blog to the cycle of blogs she reads daily so watch out for more!