Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Lump Reducing Ring

EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 428
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
For all those that have a lump reducing ring for the XL Egg. I'm guessing you bought it from ceramic grill store. Which one did you get, the bar ring or sheet ring? Also does it save lump like it actually claims to do?

• I know Gatabites has one, send him a message if he does not post a comment
    Key Largo,Florida  
    2-LBGE, High Que grates, Kick Ash Baskets, SmokeWear Caps, Adjustable Rig, Woo, Stoker II, Amaz-n-smoker, Thermapen, Rockwood charcoal
    Mini Max, No accessories yet !

2-LBGE, same accessories as in Florida
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I have the Open Bar ring (went with the option I thought would give the most airflow). It can save some lump particularly on smaller direct cooks. It pairs well with a wok or paella pan. However, with a little extra effort you can pile your lump in a smaller circle without one (but it makes it easier to load if you like to dump lump straight out of the bag).
    Lots of opinions on the ring:
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    I too have the open bar. Its perfect for woking. The lower ring of the woo2 match perfectly with the open bar. 

I havent had it long enough to comment on how much it saves. It hasnt come out of the egg since I first used it last week. Ive cooked 3 times with it. It also centers the lump directly under the AR, so thats a plus. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 3,285
    I'm interested in getting a reducing ring.  Any updated opinions or perspectives on open vs solid since last October?
    Austin, TX
  • volfan1volfan1 Posts: 52
    I have an XL & the open ring as well. I use it all the time, and I think it does help reduce the amount of lump I use.  You can also use it to do a slight indirect by pushing it to one side of the firebox. I do that & put a pizza stone on the other side when I bake taters on the egg. That's also how I cook spatch'd chicken (without the stone of course) to get a little more smoking time on my chicken.
    XL & Mini. Palm Harbor, FL.
  • LegumeLegume Posts: 3,285
    thanks @volfan1.

anyone have the solid ring?
    Austin, TX
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 389

I was going to get the ring from CGS but I don't wok on my egg (this will happen in future) so I decided to get the angle brackets instead- I confine fire in XL with less fuel to one side of grill.  This works well for indirect cooking with the need to do the occasional sear for direct- ie, sausages and then move them over to non-fuel side for no flare ups or steaks for those who want ruined, I mean burnt, er I mean anything cooked past med-rare

also, making veggies on indirect part while meat cooks over the angle brackets containing  the charcoal part works well- 2x egged taters too indirect yields the smoky flavor of a steak this way