Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Any southerners willing to send me some grits?

I am doing an upscale 8 course catering for a client and I was inspired by a dish at Gordon Ramsay Steak in Vegas.

It was a Kurobuta pork belly with cheesy grits and a tomato jam. I am going to put my own twist on it. I am using a Berkshire pork instead. I can do the jam part but am having no luck in finding the classic coarse white hominy grits. I love grits but we can only get the cornmeal sized stuff here. I want to make this as authentically southern as possible.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,033
    This is where I get mine. Stone ground and you can order online.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,517
    If you don't mind paying premium prices, check out Anson Mills. I usually reserve their products for special occasions. I haven't tried their white grits, but the yellow has been outstanding. Likewise everything else I've had from them.
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 967
    I order my grits from http://mcewenandsons.com

They are the best grits I've ever had, I got them from the 'sources' section of a John Besh cookbook, they are the grits he serves in his restaurants.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,295
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,819
    Nonsense! Southern grits are cheap, white, and instant. If you want to go fancy schmancy get you some polenta.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    Nonsense! Southern grits are cheap, white, and instant. If you want to go fancy schmancy get you some polenta.
    instant grits are a personal affront to my southern heritage, good sir.
    ·
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 81
    Didn't ya'll see the movie My Cousin Vinny?  No instant grits.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

·
  • We get these at the grocery store in Ontario

Corn Grits Polenta
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

We get these at the grocery store in Ontario

Corn Grits Polenta
    When I said polenta I ment those exactly. I just couldn't remember the name. They are super easy to control the thickness and have a great mouth feel.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    We use the Red Mill as well.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Bob's is great stuff.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418

What part of you besides your manhood is southern?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • As mentioned above, we always use Bob's Red Mill Yellow Grits.  I recommend using a blend of chicken stock and half and half for your liquid.  Using water gives them no flavor.
    Kelley 
    Egging with NoJokeSmoke (Bruce) in SW Austin, Texas
    BGEs: XL, Medium and Mini
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,218
    Are these Red Mill coarse? or just the fine stuff. I am looking for coarse.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,819
    hondabbq said:

Coarse.
    ·
  • hondabbq said:

They are more coarse than fine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Sobeys carries the Red Mill stuff

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    @mickey, the part where my aunt and dad's family would crucify me if I tried instant grits. I was born in Charleston and spent most of my single digit years in SC/NC. 

For you Texas folk, I believe a similar analogy is when someone tries to add beans to chili and someone calls out "get a rope".
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,418
    @mickey, the part where my aunt and dad's family would crucify me if I tried instant grits. I was born in Charleston and spent most of my single digit years in SC/NC. 

For you Texas folk, I believe a similar analogy is when someone tries to add beans to chili and someone calls out "get a rope".

Welcome to our club. Don't know why I thought you were one of those.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320

Corn Grits Polenta
    When I said polenta I ment those exactly. I just couldn't remember the name. They are super easy to control the thickness and have a great mouth feel.
    I thought grits was white?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Some corn white some corn yellow, thus white grits & yellow grits.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Hey Miles! How's things buddy?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Corn Grits Polenta
    I thought grits was white?
    You can even get blue grits

·
  • Steven, Just fine, how about you and Norma? Will we be seeing you at O-fest this year? Hope so. Thanks milesofsmiles.
    ·