Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Bourbon

Options
SWMBO and I took a trip down on the Bourbon Trail last week.  We hit up Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey.  Now that it is starting to cool off a little bit my seasonal transition from beer to bourbon is picking up.  Being that I live in Pittsburgh, PA... land of the prudes it is difficult to get some good bourbons without special ordering them through the state store.  That leaves it up to picking up a bottle or two every time I travel... which isn't a problem.  What are your favorites?  Here are my top 3... and I drink them neat.

1) George T. Stagg (I was lucky enough to find a couple of bottles of this a few years back)
2) Russel's Reserve Single Barrel
3) Four Roses Single Barrel

If you can't tell, I like the barrel strength...
Pittsburgh, PA

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Sounds like a fun trip...

Based on a lot of great information I found out on here, as well as extensive taste testing...

Either with a few cubes of ice, or 3 stones

Woodford Reserve Double Oak
    Woodford Reserve
    Jefferson Small Batch

And sometimes Jim Beam, Markers...
  • trup0241
    Options
    I had the Woodford Double Oak for the first time... I was impressed with it.  It has much more body/character.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I really like the Jefferson - the very small batch is a great everyday bourbon, it is very tasty on its own, and it is not so expensive that making an old fashioned feels like a waste.  I really like their Reserve as well.  I go back and forth on whether or not I want to get a bottle of their 21 year old presidential select; probably as close to owning a bottle of Pappy I'd get.

Speaking of Pappy - I'm currently listening to the end of the Alton Brown Podcast, his guest interview was Julian Van Winkle.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My favorites would be

1- Blantons single barrel
    2- Woodford Double Oaked.
    3- Jack Daniels as my everyday go to.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    1 Pappy Van Winkle 20 years old. Good luck finding this and if you can it's well north of $100 2 Blantons 3 Jefferson reserve. Although I'm really starting to dig Rye and Knob Creek makes a damn good one.
    XL BGE
  • trup0241
    Options
    @Seanr7 I picked up a bottle of High West Double Rye! the other day.  I highly recommend it if you are interested in Ryes, it has a nice spice to it.  The other Rye you can't go wrong with it Sazerac Rye.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options

My top three (actually it's a bit of a distance from #2 to #3):

1.  Woodford's Double Oaked

2.  Van Winkle's 12 year old (It is available here for around a week as most is now exported to the rest of the country).

3.  Four Roses single barrel.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    1.  Pappy's
    2.  Wellers
    3.  Two Stars
    4.  Southshot

I am cheap except for No. 1.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I'm making my own with the help of a kit I got from Grand Traverse Distillery. They have a Makers Mark blend that I'm aginging now. Should be ready for Thanksgiving.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• trup0241
    Options
    I have toyed around with aging my own as well.  Instead of barrels i'll use toasted / charred wood varieties and put them in mason jars with white whiskey/rye.  We have a local distillery in pittsburgh, Wigle Whiskey.  It has come out quite well so far.  The woods I have done include Apple, Peach, Pecan, Black Walnut, Maple, Oak and Cherry.  It is interesting to try different toast and char levels and see their impact on the flavor... if you can't tell I am an engineer.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

trup

I'll never question an engineer. I'll just do it my way. It's the builder in me.

What type of booze did you start with.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've made moonshine before and stored it in glass bottles with home made charcoal to give it color, flavor and remove the fusel oils, which make you sick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusel_alcohol
    Options
    I like
    Basil Hayden's
    4 Roses small batch
    WH something reserve from Indiana

LBGE

BTFU!

• trup0241
    Options
    @GK59
    I primarily use a White Rye Whiskey, it is the first one in this link.  I have done their wheat whiskey before, but I like the spice of the rye better.  The most surprising one I did that I was pleasantly surprised with was Hickory.  I toasted the hickory in the big clock in the kitchen at 400 F for 60 minutes (I didn't char this one).  I used 2 ounces of wood (no bark) and 2 cups of white rye.  Aged it 15 weeks and the filtered/bottled it.  I has a crisp flavor unlike any whiskey I have had before.

Touche... it is just bad when you are in the office and it is before 7 and you can't stop thinking of bourbon and egging... happens every work day :(

I have a batch of moonshine (sugar base... I know it was cheated) that is currently aging with Peach.  I drew a sample last week, it has removed a little of the heat and added a ton of flavor.
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I want to hit the bourbon trail one day,

I keep trying different brands but for me, nothing beats Woodford.  I do love the marketing hype around Pappy and that is good bourbon, but Woodford is available, cheaper and better in my opinion.  I'm looking for a less expensive "everyday" bourbon that I can live and then breakout the Woodford for special occasions.   Leaning toward Bulleit right now but only a 3 or 4 $ savings.    
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I only cook with bourbon. Something about it gives me a short guy's complex. Love the flavour but too old to fight all the time. :(

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• trup0241
    Options
    @4Runner My two "everyday" bourbons are Elmer T. Lee and Eagle Rare, the Eagle Rare at least around my parts is about $10 cheaper than Woodford

Tonight I made pork chops marinated in Cheerwine and Bourbon, but since I don't have pictures it never happened so take that for what it is worth.  It was delicious, a cherry flavor and the spice of the bourbon... mmmm.

Pittsburgh, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @4Runner-I agree that Bulliet is an eggcellent bourbon.  I have recycled many empty bottles and all were better than I can recall I'm sure :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    trup0241 said:
    @4Runner My two "everyday" bourbons are Elmer T. Lee and Eagle Rare, the Eagle Rare at least around my parts is about $10 cheaper than Woodford

Tonight I made pork chops marinated in Cheerwine and Bourbon, but since I don't have pictures it never happened so take that for what it is worth.  It was delicious, a cherry flavor and the spice of the bourbon... mmmm.

Pork and bourbon are a perfect pairing. Try marinating ribs in it sometime.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    trup0241 said:

Pork and bourbon are a perfect pairing. Try marinating ribs in it sometime.
    Just like salmon and rum.   I soak salmon in rum before curing. 
    Options
    trup0241 said:

Cheerwine AND Bourbon? I'm in love.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I think this thread is on topic...just sayin.

I'm into bulliet, as said on the aa thread. Ha!

Sounds like a fun trip.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Check out WL Weller 12 year. Very cheap and good

Garnerville, NY
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Tonight it is Old Forester 12 year Birthday Bourbonimage

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI