Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my ribs tonight...well...they SCREAMED!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging for 5+ years but grilling much longer than that. Most times my baby back ribs are good IMHO, but tonight they SCREAMED!!! It's kinda like finally getting a hole in one or something I suppose and maybe that's why I'm so excited tonight![p]Method: Nothing new nor original but here goes...
>rubbed with Ken Stone's Witchy Red and coated with yellow mustard one hour in advance
>indirect using my inverted plate sitter
>5 chunks of hickory for smoke
>following a version of JSlot's method the ribs went on, meat side up, when I had stablized a 300 degree dome temp
>3 hours at 300 degrees - NO PEEK, NO FLIP
>at that point I was going to foil, for 10 minutes and then shut down for 20 minutes HOWEVER...In checking the meat between the ribs with my Thermapen (let alone the tell-tale meat pulled back on the bone) they were in the 194 to 199 range.
>I removed from the BGE, brushed on some Wild Boar BBQ sauce and wrapped in foil and further wrapped in towels and placed in a cooler since it wasn't quite time for supper
>I swear those were the best - I MEAN THE BEST - ribs I've ever fixed and EATEN!!![p]Wanting a disclaimer??? As Gfw used to say "The best ribs are the ones you like"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    RRP,
    So, uh, overall, uh, how would you say they turned out?[p]LMAO! Did you save any for the rest of us? Did ya'?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    RRP,
    Way to go Ron! Isn't it great when the plan comes together.
    I have also found that sometimes, the normal times and temps didn't work for some reason. ;)?
    So go figger! but over-all the norms are right!
    Later my friend,
    ron.[p][p]

• RRP
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]LOL - So, uh, overall, uh, how about MY WORD? Trust me even the bones were history by the time I read your response!

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    RRP,
    Way to go........now see if you can do it again. It looks like you hit the bullseye.....CONGRATS.

• SmokingInMO
    Options
    RRP,[p]Congradulations on the perfect cook, makes you feel good doesn't it. Odd how all the methods and recipes in the world can't replace a true eggers instinct. You are the man!!
  • RRP,
    Congrats on the perfect cook! YOu've got to love that![p]phillip

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    RRP,
    Nice going Ron, but don't forget to give some credit to the pig. [p]Question: If we are what we eat and we eat pork all the time, does that make us pigs?[p]Spring "Full Of it This Morning" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• RRP
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    ooooooiiinnnkkk!
    Actually I was afraid the main guest was going to be a problem since he came to dinner via Tyson and had that 12% injection, but that wasn't a problem afterall, although I've wondered in the past!

• RRP,[p]Glad to hear about your success. I just got Dr. BBQ's book, and am a relative newbie to the egg, so when doing my ribs yesterday I thought I'd go by the book. I used the Dr's standard rib recipe. While my wife said they were the best ribs she's ever had, I think she was just being nice. I had the temps a little too high at the start, and i found the honey/brown sugar mixture a little too sweet for my likely, and created a bit too much sweet/sticky bark for my liking.[p]RRP, I think your success was in part due to your common sense approach, and adjusting on the fly. Congrats.[p]Beefer
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    RRP,
    Screaming Ribs....catchy name for your fantastic ribs!
    You've latched onto something. This could be big.
    Nice work,
    Clay