Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared Thermometers

Options
Which ones are you egger's using?  I have looked at several of the ThermoWorks models, but I don't want to go too cheap and get what I pay for.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    First of all, i am a FLIR distributor and have several full fledged thermal imagers, so am a bit over the top when it comes to IR measurement.  However, I know a lot about IR temperature measurement, and I know the guy who runs Thermoworks.  They would not sell anything that was junk.  Looking at the offering, I would recommend their IRGun-S. It has a high enough temperature range, decent resolution, and is sale priced at $49 which is pretty good
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I would suggest Thermoworks also.  My personal unit is from Fluke, but that is because I need it for work.  I don't think the backyard requires the ruggedness or accuracy that this industrial quality tool offers nor the price.  CookinBob that FLIR equipment is awesome, use it for semiannual hot spot checks on 480V electrical panels.  It has saved us some major $$$ more than once.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Thanks guys.  The IRGun-S is the one that caught my eye, but thought with that $49 price tag I might be getting something that might not last.  I appreciate the feedback.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    First of all, i am a FLIR distributor and have several full fledged thermal imagers, so am a bit over the top when it comes to IR measurement.  However, I know a lot about IR temperature measurement, and I know the guy who runs Thermoworks.  They would not sell anything that was junk.  Looking at the offering, I would recommend their IRGun-S. It has a high enough temperature range, decent resolution, and is sale priced at $49 which is pretty good
    How important is having adjustable emissivity?  How far off would it be if you used one that is permanently set to .95 and the you try to measure the temperature of something like an All Clad pan?  thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Forget trying to measure anything shiny like all-clad. You will only measure what is reflected. For a baking stone, cast iron, and non reflective surfaces, .95 emissivity is fine. Sure close enough for cooking!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Forget trying to measure anything shiny like all-clad. You will only measure what is reflected. For a baking stone, cast iron, and non reflective surfaces, .95 emissivity is fine. Sure close enough for cooking!
    By the way, can you get me a really cheap FLIR?  Like $20 or so, LOL!  They look like fun, but way too expensive for my experimentation.

The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    i have one i use at work, cant see using one in the egg
    :)) i can cook a thin crust from 500 to 1200 degrees dome so i guess i dont need to be that accurate. so 850 plus or minus 350 degrees is accurate enough for me
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it