Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stuffed Peppers

I used this recipe - Needed a little more flavor but they came out good.

• 6 large red peppers
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 Italian Sausage patties
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons Cajun Rub
  • 2/3 cup prepared salsa or diced tomatoes with chiles
  • 1-1/2 cups grated Colby and Monterey Jack cheese

PREPARATION

1. Rinse each pepper well with cold running water. Cut each in half lengthwise, through the stem, and remove the seeds and ribs with a paring knife.

2. Make the stuffing: Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Cajun Rub, salsa, rice and cook until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.

3. Fill each pepper half with the stuffing.

4. When ready to cook, Set the temperature to 350 indirect - I added some Mesquite chips

5. Arrange the peppers on the grill grate, stuffing side up, balancing them between the rungs. Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the peppers. Bake for 5 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted.

6. Transfer to a platter or plates and serve immediately.

The original recipe called for rice, beans and corn but since I am on a low carb diet I did not use these.  Was going to put in cauliflower rice but ran out of time.

Garnerville, NY
pep1.jpg 132.9K
pep2.jpg 125.4K
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    I so want to like this recipe, but I'm not a big fan of peppers. :( I've grown to like red, yellow and orange diced up in some recipes, but don't know if I could handle them whole. The rest of it sounds good and kuddos for ommitting the rice and beans and corn to stick to yuor low cal diet.I guess they would look good to somebody who like them.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,768
    The pepper was not that bad.  I am learning to like them.  I bet if  Iput some more hot sauce on the pepper parts I would not taste them.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,940
    looks good, i like stuffed peppers, interesting you halved them , we stuff from the top, never thought to do it that way and it looks easier to clean.

@griffin
    we get the tomato from hollowing out tomatoes and stuffing those as well, stuffed tomatoes are good too
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    @Griffin   I am like you but found using poblano peppers works for me. Just stuff with his above or ??????.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Looks great. Something I've always wanted to try but I'm with griffin and don't really like bell's

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Those look good. My mom made them when I was a kid. I'm gonna have to make some.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,233
    My wife's been nagging, era... Asking me to cook these. Thanks. Looks good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·