Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Stuffed Peppers

I used this recipe - Needed a little more flavor but they came out good.

• 6 large red peppers
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 Italian Sausage patties
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons Cajun Rub
  • 2/3 cup prepared salsa or diced tomatoes with chiles
  • 1-1/2 cups grated Colby and Monterey Jack cheese

PREPARATION

1. Rinse each pepper well with cold running water. Cut each in half lengthwise, through the stem, and remove the seeds and ribs with a paring knife.

2. Make the stuffing: Brown the ground beef in a large frying pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Cajun Rub, salsa, rice and cook until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.

3. Fill each pepper half with the stuffing.

4. When ready to cook, Set the temperature to 350 indirect - I added some Mesquite chips

5. Arrange the peppers on the grill grate, stuffing side up, balancing them between the rungs. Bake for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the peppers. Bake for 5 minutes more, or until the cheese is melted.

6. Transfer to a platter or plates and serve immediately.

The original recipe called for rice, beans and corn but since I am on a low carb diet I did not use these.  Was going to put in cauliflower rice but ran out of time.

Garnerville, NY

Comments