Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lighting the Egg

What does everyone use to light their egg? Ive been using the starting blocks. Just looking for alternatives to fire up the best cooking device on the earth.
Nashville, Tennessee
·

Comments

• Looftlighter.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • Paper towel. Sometimes my mapp has torch
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,426

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,445

91% rubbing alcohol.

No smell, no taste, just fire.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    Springram said:
    Looftlighter.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    +1

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 111
    paper towels, leftover grease.
    Snellville,Ga.
    ·
  • Paper towels doused with veggie oil
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • GoatseggGoatsegg Posts: 108
    edited September 2013
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • looflighter though I am not sure why. I think bricks are just as fast.
    ·
  • Electric starter. They are like $7 at Wally World
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I use a weed torch.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • njlnjl Posts: 797
    1 paper towel folded to 1/4 size + maybe 1 T used cooking oil, bacon fat, whatever's handy balled up in a depression in the center of the lump.  With good lump, that's all you need to get it started.
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,314
    six_egg said:
    Springram said:
    Looftlighter.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    +1
    +2

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,314
    six_egg said:
    Springram said:
    Looftlighter.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    +1
    +2

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • WeberWho?WeberWho? Posts: 1,547
    Weed Torch
    ·
  • Sometimes I use a Looftlighter, sometimes I use a Weber Chimney. Both work equally well. Good luck!
    ·
  • Big Green Egg electric lighter. Effortless. Reliable. Bury it in the coals and walk away. Come back in 8 minutes and the fire is going.
    ·
  • 91% Isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  Lights like charcoal lighter but biproduct is carbon dioxide.  No chemical smell.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Oiled paper towel as well.  Make them up ahead of time - found a plastic container the perfect size for a paper towel folded in quarters.  Put in an inch or 2 of paper towels, a couple teaspoons of oil, repeat til container is full.  Learned the trick on this forum, but can't remember from who or I'd give credit.  He used a coffee can with a rock on top of the towels.  Much less messy than making them up each time and a lot more convenient.  
  • Paper towel and veggie oil....no more paying for starter blocks

·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,252
    91% alcohol. Simple and easy. No smell
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • Electric starter.
    Aurora,OH
    ·

• Goatsegg said:
    +1

Bought a Mapp torch from Lowes in January and the first bottle of gas is still alive.  Average 2-3 cooks per week.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

·
  • Looftlighter, but one time when the power was out I used the paper towel method.  That actually works quite well.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    I also use an electric starter... 7 minutes for low and slow.  8 when looking for 300 - 400 and 9 or 10 when going above 600.  
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • Looftlighter
    ·
  • I am in the cube camp. Bought the Rutlands 144 pack on Amazon for bought $11

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,821
    I did the fire starters since I bought my eggs but I decided to try a MAPP torch. I hold it in each spot for 30 seconds and my egg is up to temp quite fast after that.
    ·
  • Propane torch.....easy, cheap, reliable and controllable, no need for electricity or extension cords.  Light four spots around the perimeter for 45 seconds and cooking in 15 minutes or so.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 488
    I just finished my first 1# MAPP. Used it about 9 months and 75-80 lights. FYI.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·