Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Medallions with a Compound Butter

Had a pork tenderloin in the fridge that I had to do something with last night, didn't feel like grilling it whole so I decided to treat it like a filet mignon. Sliced and wrapped in bacon and then dusted with Salt Lick Rub.

Tossed it on the Egg at 400F

Started pulling them when they hit 135-140ish, let rest for 5 minutes, then topped with a garlic mustard compound butter I whipped up earlier.

Pretty darn tasty even if that one sliced open was a bit more done than I would have preferred. Salty from bacon, peppery from the Salt Lick and a rich depth of flavor from the compound butter. Simple and quick weekday meal, kicking myself now because I really should have used the Mini. I feel like its been neglected recently.

Compound butter was 1/2 stick of butter softened at room temp, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp of Salt Lick Rub. Whip together, roll into a log with plastic wrap and placed in refirgerator to chill until needed.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,306

Sometimes simple is best, looks tasty.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • LoggerLogger Posts: 235
    Nice job Griff.  Saving this one too.
    OKC area  XL - Medium
    ·
  • TTCTTC Posts: 469
    oh my......
    XL BGE - Gallatin, TN
    ·
  • Another winner, Grif.   =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • I saw this on your Facebook page this morning, looks great. I will definitely try this
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,366
    Another great one! ^:)^

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Bookmarked! =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • I saw those and ran to the store for a tenderloin and will be trying shortly. You said the butter mix was a garlic butter but never listed garlic as an ingredient. Should I add garlic to the butter?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • Yum. Great cook.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • NervousDadNervousDad Posts: 302
    edited September 2013
    Looks fantastic, I'm cooking the other half a tender loin right now and I may try this if I have bacon in the fridge... 

Edit: no bacon :(
    Aurora,OH
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,272
    Great... Have a tenderloin for tomorrow night.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Looks great Jason.  I prefer mine a little less done too.  Copied your butter recipe.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
  • Came out great. I added some garlic powder to the butterr mix.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 402
    Sweet pic of them on the grill!
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Looks awesome!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • I'm gonna make those. 
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,285
    Yessir!!!  I will be giving that a try soon as well!!  Outstanding!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 681
    Looks like the pictures came out of a cookbook. Awesome looking grindage.  Gonna have to give it  a try soon.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803
    bigguy136 said:
    I saw those and ran to the store for a tenderloin and will be trying shortly. You said the butter mix was a garlic butter but never listed garlic as an ingredient. Should I add garlic to the butter?

Crap. Sorry. ONe or two gloves of garlic finely minced or better yet put through a garlic press and mixed in with the butter.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • "Now that is what I am talking about!" Nice job, that has me drooling ^:)^
    ·
  • So Griffin, I did this tonight, and wow it was great. That butter on top,,,, Well it is soooo tasty. One problem I had was that the pork got done a little sooner and then the bacon wasn't quite done enough, can you elaborate some. It was a little balancing act to get them on edge. Did you pre-cook the bacon at all. It was a wonderful meal, just wanted to ask for a bit more detail. Thank-you Sir.
    ·
  • I do mine except pre cook the bacon a couple minutes. The wife likes her bacon cooked more than I do but they are delicious this way.. Nice quick cook. Ill have to try it with your compound butter
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,797
    How did I miss this??? The flavors sound goooood! Time to find me a tenderloin...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • It looks really good! If only this site had a smell-o-meter.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
    ·
  • I made them last night. no Bacon it took about 5 minutes a side with a 400 dome temp.came out perfect .
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803

@smokesniffer - It came out ok for us, but it wouldn't hurt to nuke the bacon for a minute or so first if you want. Make sure you are using thin cut bacon and that when you wrap it, it just overlaps enough to secure it with a toothpick. You don't wnat to use a whole strip of bacon and overlap it. It was sort of a balancing act to get them to stand up. You could always use something to help them, say one of the three little green feet. Sometimes I use a CI Bacon Press. A foil wrapped brick could work. Something heat resistant.

@texaswig - glad they worked out for you.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Thanks Griff, this meal is a keeper for sure. I just need to fine tune it. That butter combo was amazing. It was off the hook. ;)  Enjoy your week.

·
  • I can't get that compound butter out of my head. I got to try it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • @travis,, yous gonna luv it
    ·
  • I too was feeling inspired yesterday after seeing this, so I went straight to the store after work and got the necessary ingredients.

Here's everything assembled.

Guns hot.

Plated (not very well)

And money shot

The compound butter really was the star of this.  My medallions were done a bit differently (I just used my homemade pork butt rub on them) and my butter was basically the same, plus some chopped cilantro and a little heavier on the garlic.  Thanks, Griff.  This was great and got rave reviews from everyone.

2014 Texas Aggies - Here's to hoping....

in Houston, TX

·