Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First spatcher

Did my first spatchcock tonight. Did a lot of reading prior. Direct? Indirect?
I like doing a lot of I directs so I stuck with what I knew. Grid at the felt line. 400 degrees. Took about 45 minutes then left it in and shut it down. Was about 10 degrees below required temp and SWMBO was not home yet. Took it out about 20 minutes later.

Best and moistest chicken ever. Leg bines actually pulled out. Thighs slipped off the back. Great flavour. I put the chicken rubbed with homemade blend in the fridge for 5 hours prior to the cook.

Oh yeah the skin was rendered and crispy. Not gummy which is what I was afraid of happening.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

image.jpg 2.9M
image.jpg 2.4M

Comments

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,702
    edited September 2013
    Nice looking bird, I did one tonight too 400 raised direct. Took about 1 hour as well. 
    Try some 2" diced yukon potatoes in EVOO and salt and pepper under the chicken next time. 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,670
    Try large cut veggies in a pan with a little broth in it. Squash, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, etc...

Looks good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Damn good looking bird!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA