Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ducks

I'm thinking about doing some Ducks this weekend has anybody ever cooked duck on their Egg if so what temp direct or indirect and what inturnal temp thank you in advance for any help 
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• I have cooked marinated duck breast wrapped in bacon many times.
    Direct till bacon was nice and crispy....melts in your mouth.
    Pensacola,FL
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,154
    Domestic duck has lots and lots of fat. Remove any excess you can, and save it for frying potatos. Score the skin so the under layer of fat can render out. Have a good sized drip pan to catch the fat. Otherwise, cook much like chicken. The breasts are usually thinner, and so cook thru faster than chix.

So far, I haven't tried separating the skin from the body, and keeping the bird cold for a day to dry out, a'la Peking style. To date, I haven't had skin as crispy as I would like, and will eventually try that.

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,030
    edited September 2013

Duck breast is great rare but the rear quarter should go to 165-175*. I generally butcher them and do confit from the thigh/leg and pan sear then grill the breast. I have done them inverted on a chicken stand with pretty good results

Edit: Assuming you are talking domestic birds

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 494
    I've done duck breast many times.  Start inside on the stove to render some fat out or on the egg in a CI skillet.  Then finish raised direct or, as stated above, over a drip pan w a small air space below it.  Recently did a spatchocked whole bird raised indirect w a drip pan filled w potato and onions.  Dome was350 and went til thigh was 176.

It turned out great but any potatoes after leave me unsatisfied...

IMG_0829.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • I'm looking to doing whole birds I'm kinda thinking about smoking the ducks I have done duck breast on my gasser many times I will give it a shot and will report back with photos 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I smoke it over cherry indirect 270 ish
    HFX NS