Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket question

I put on a 9 pound choice at 3 am pt, 250 with digi q and flat is already at 185, 5 1/2 hours in. That seems fast. Think the stall is coming up or is this just a fast cooking piece of meat?

Was figuring an hour, hour 15 per pound

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2013
    Therm is in the thickest point of the flat and calibrated? If so, chalk it up to meat having a mind of its own. If you trust the reading, pull at 203° and enjoy in an hour or so.

Locust Grove, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• anezanez Posts: 120
    Thanks, chris. It's at 197 according to my thermapen. Feels like it needs to get a little over 200 til it's done. Could be done in a little over 8 hours of cooking time, which is odd but it's looking great. Prob gonna FTC for 3 or 4 hours.

I was gonna put it on at midnight last night but I fell asleep and woke up at 2 am and got it going. Ooooops
  • anezanez Posts: 120
    Pulled at 202, just under 9 hours. Now ftc'ing for 3 hours.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • anez, the same thing happened to me.  I smoked a 12lb packer brisket (point and flat together).  I didn't take into account the amount of fat I cut off.  All in all, it took about 45min per pound.  There wasn't a stall like I was expecting...it did seem to stall around 185 but that doesn't seem like a true stall.  The brisket still turned out delicious.  I have to wrap it in foil and throw it in the oven at 175 to keep it warm...since it finished way too early.  It was a little dry for me but my guests couldn't tell.  I'll adjust next time.  How did it turn out?
    LGBE August 2013

Louisville, KY