Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sausage question

Could only find an 8 lb butt for this weekend, so I told SWMBO that we should get some sausage since the butt isn't as big as we normally do. She bought Johnsonville Cheddar and Jalepeno sausage, which isn't really what I wanted, but I'm sort of stuck with it now. Can I smoke this with the butt, or do I have to do it direct?
·

Comments

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,380
    I would think yes, but it will be well done after 14 hours.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Well yeah, I was thinking I'd throw them on in the last 2 or 3 hours or so.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    You can cook it either way. Like Doc said, it will be done way sooner than the butt. I would throw it on raised direct after the butt is finished. Maybe while the butt is FTC'ed.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • trup0241trup0241 Posts: 35
    I usually do sausages indirect.  Depending on the temperature you do, even 2-3 hours may be too long.  I usually am doing them indirect at 300F for about 30 minutes.  Doing them indirect helps keep the casings in tact in my opinion.  Best of luck!

Boiler up!
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ·
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 498
    Keep in mind that the sausage will have a different look cooked low and slow , but they have an awesome taste !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • trup0241 said:

Boiler up!
    Beat Cincy!!

Got ABTs, Potato skins, and wings for the game.

·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I do that all the time.  I put a sausage on with the butt, and then pull it off for a snack early in the cook.  It works out great. 

I have also done it late in the cook like you are thinking about doing.  Works great either way.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,515
    I smoked Johnsonville brats and the skin got really tough though flavor was great. I recommend direct.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·