Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First time using my BGE XL

I recently purchased a BGE XL and smoked beef ribs for the it's first cook. I smoked the ribs at 235 (dome temp) for 6.5 hours using BGE charcoal and pecan chunks. I noticed that the bark and smoke ring didn't turnout nearly as pronounced as my offset smoker. Does anyone have tips for me. Thanks for the help.
image.jpg 2.3M
image.jpg 2.1M
·

Comments

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    Fire tends to burn to the back of the egg first, so for heavier smoke I put at at least one chunk in the center and one chunk in the back.  The rest I interleave like you have done, although I tend to keep my front chunks closer to the center.  On a 6 hour slow cook, the fire in mine won't reach the front and side ceramics most of the time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Mud PigMud Pig Posts: 459
    The only suggestion I can make is switch to hickory.  I just did a 6 hour smoke at 235 on some spareribs and they had a nice smoke ring.

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 407
    Mud Pig said:
    The only suggestion I can make is switch to hickory.  I just did a 6 hour smoke at 235 on some spareribs and they had a nice smoke ring.

Personally-  I have had bad luck as a blanket statement with Hickory-  Just buyer beware, nothing against others tastes.  

I am no expert on the subject but read somewhere meat only "accepts" smoke until a certain temp.  Starting with cooler meat has helped me produce a brag band around some of my cooks.  

This is a fantastic article as well-

·
  • DfishelDfishel Posts: 104
    Thank you all for the help and advise.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    Aside from the smoke ring, was the flavor to your liking? An egg operates with very little airflow so there is a tendency to have have less of a smoke ring than you might expect on another cooker. I never particularly worry about it. The set up also errs to lighter smoke profiles, but rest assured I have totally oversmoked ribs with 7 large chunks. I typically use 3.
    ·
  • I read and have found cherry wood leaves a deeper more pronounced ring then other woods i have tried.
    ·
  • DfishelDfishel Posts: 104
    Thank y'all for the great tips!!
    Have a great holiday weekend!!
    ·