Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Pulled Pork Question...

hapsterhapster Posts: 7,240
Anybody on here add chopped onions to their pulled pork? Mix them in when shredding and saucing the meat? My BIL neighbor has a large bge and a few weeks ago he brought over some pulled pork while we were there swimming. His wife made a home made sauce for it and also threw in finely chopped onions as well... it was really good.

Making a few butts later this week to take up to camp and thinking of doing the same...

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 640
    Sounds Awesome. 

Texarkana, TX

• Raw or sautéed? What kind of onion? 
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,104
    Never right into the pork, but I do eat/serve pulled pork with a side of sour pickles and finely sliced white onion (as fine as I can, like on a mandolin). I bet it's nice to mix them in and let the flavors mingle. I know some people are very opposed to onion.

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,827

Sounds good to me.  It might also be good to pan-fry the onions lightly; not enough to caramelize,

just a bit of a fry.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 640
    Well if you want some big flavor you can all ways cut out the center of the onion and replace with either chicken or beef bullion wrap in foil and cook until it is tender to your taste. Then add to pork.

Texarkana, TX

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,240
    The onion in hers seemed to be sautéed slightly before going in. Tender. May have been sweet onions.
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I would do one with onion and one without if you are feeding other people. If given the choice of pulled pork with onion or do without, I would do without. I can't eat onions. Just my .02.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,378
    i added onions to my sammy, but haven't tried mixing in.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    If I have the foresight to get it done i marinate finely sliced sweet onion in pickle brine for topping
  • I never thought about adding onion to the pulled pork.  We usually make slaw when we do pulled pork and I finely dice some onion to top the slaw I put on the bun.

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!