Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast and Grilled Veggies

Options
Here is a fun one.  I love the way a Turkey Breast comes out when cooked well on the egg.

This is how I do it.  (It is also the same method I use for bone-in chicken Breasts)

Turkey Breast
Start by dry rubbing the turkey breast.  I usually just use a combination of what ever good rubs I have around.  Sweet, salt, pepper, garlic, etc.  Make sure to get the rub all under the skin.

Then I get the egg up to about ~375-400

I usually start with the skin side down for about ~5-10 minutes or until it is just seared but not burnt.

Then I cook bone down for the remainder.

After about 25-30 min I will start basting it with a simple mop.  This is the key to an excellent moist breast.

For the Mop I use equal parts:
Fresh squeezed citrus (I have a massive tangelo tree and orange tree)
Beer 
Apple Cider Vinegar
Plus a little more seasoning (same as rub)

Then repeatedly Mop every 10 - 15 min.

I use a remote thermometer and pull it at about 165; usually this will take about 1.5 hours.

Veggies
For the veggies I am using a pretty cool technique

Step 1 
Fingerling Potatoes, halved
Step 2 
3-4 Colored Bell Peppers chopped to about 1 in
2-3 Zuchini halved and sliced
1 onion chopped to 1 in
Step 3 
3-4 tomatoes quartered or cut into 1/6 sections

Step 1
Start by lining a grill basket with foil
Toss the potatoes with olive oil and salt and pepper
Pour the potatoes into the grill basket and let cook for about 30-40 min
Step 2 
While the potatoes are cooking take the step 2 veggies and toss them with a little more olive oil, salt pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice
After the potatoes start to soften add the step 2 veggies to the foil lined basket
Cook for about 20 more min
Step 3 
Once all the veggies are nice and soft and mostly done remove them from the basket into a bowl
Remove the foil from the grill basket (be careful its hot)
Throw the tomatoes into the basket
Stir often to avoid burning.
After about 5-10 min when the tomatoes start to soften and blacken add the rest of the veggies back to the basket.
Toss everything letting the tomatoe juice coat the rest of the veggies.
Pull it after about 5-10 min when everything looks amazing.

All in all this is a nice one when you have some time.  THe hard part is all the times you need to open the lid but just plan accordingly.

Comments