Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Charcoal opinion poll

I know I read a lot of posts where someone opens a bag and they love how they got some "really big pieces".  Suppose you opened a 20 pound bag of charcoal and found 1 monster and 2 smaller monsters.  The monster weighed 5 pounds (25% of the bag) and the two little monsters weighed 2 pounds each.  So 45% of the bag was in 3 pieces.  Would you consider this A) a good thing, B) a bad thing, or C) don't care?  Thanks!
The Naked Whiz
·

Comments

• B. I like fist sized pieces. The again, I have a large fist.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,265
    Guess better than dust- you can break those up. I would go with "a"
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 587
    Bad Thing
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • SmyrnaGASmyrnaGA Posts: 183
    A) a good thing since I can break it up into smaller pieces.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

·
  • baywulfbaywulf Posts: 9
    I like smaller chunks as long as the don't fall thru the hi-que!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    B.) very bad thing.  I don't want to break lump up.  I'm a dump and go kinda guy.  Rather have small than large any day.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,395
    B.)  Bad thing
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 317
    Don't care.
    ·
  • JVAVJVAV Posts: 17
    I'd say bad thing but it's better than dust and real small pieces.
    ·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 904
    I'd say on the good side of indifferent. Mostly I just don't want dust, which I think is largely a consequence of shipping and handling between the producer and me. Nowadays I'm in the dumping camp, so dust is an enemy. 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • ArbucklejArbucklej Posts: 90
    A- you can always break a giant piece into the size you want but there is no fix for little pieces.
    ·
  • I would be upset. I like consistently sized chunks. This is the reason I rarely buy wicked good WW
    Birmingham, AL
    XL, Small, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Crispix49Crispix49 Posts: 190
    B- that's just another step to break up monster pieces.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,286
    B. I like small to fill in all the nooks & crannies too, with fist size for a longer burn.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    Less than ideal.  The two 2lb pieces are fine but a 5lb piece might require either breaking up or careful placement.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,556
    Probably B- it would be better than a bunch of small pieces but fist size with a couple larger pieces would be ideal for me and I dump and go.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,473
    edited July 2013
    B - more work and lots of dust and small particles bustin' it up to usable size.

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    B) I like the middle of the road size pieces. Dust is a worst problem tho. I found a soft ball sized rock in my last bag b-(

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    What's the remaining 55% of the bag look like? That would have a big impact on how I felt about the purchase
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,519

(B)

I like to dump and go. Besides, breaking up big chunks gets carbon all over and takes time away from the R&R.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    edited July 2013
    Hi54putty said:
    What's the remaining 55% of the bag look like? That would have a big impact on how I felt about the purchase
    Assume the rest of the bag is reasonably distributed between medium, small, and the unusable chips and dust.  This is definitely not a case of half the bag is three pieces and the rest is all unusable.  
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,496
    I like to put a few big pieces on the bottom when doing long cooks so I think I would be happy with the bag overall.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,381
    edited July 2013
    I had a couple of bags of "Frontier" brand that almost matched the description. 1 bag had a single piece about the size of a large cantaloupe, and a few others at least fist size. Would have been fine w. me, except the lump sparked, and sent up clouds of ash when used above 300 dome.  The other bag had a few small logs that i had to break to fit into my mediums fire box.

My vote would be "A", assuming good lump. Or "C." I happen to have a 9 pound sledge next to my lump bin, and anything that needs breaking lasts about another 20 secs.
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,240
    Definitely B. I like a bag that has all medium size pieces.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • MklineMkline Posts: 176
    B. I like a bag full of medium pieces. I would end up braking up the pieces you asked about with a hammer.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,428
    I pick A. Easy to make big pieces small, but hard to do it the other way around.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • bicktravbicktrav Posts: 455
    B
    Southern California
    ·
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 362
    B
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,282
    Indifferent. I can break up the monsters as long as they are not rocks ( like some have found)
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·