Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Maverick probe vs Thermapen

I bought the Remington version of the Maverick ET732, and I'm finding that my Thermapen reading in the same hole as the probe is about 12-15 degrees higher than the probe. Also the rest of the readings I've taken on the butts with the Pen show 5-15 degrees higher than the spot the probe is in. Is it possible that having the probe in the meat in a slow cook causes that area to cook more slowly? If so, could that also cause the probe to show lower than true? The grid probe has also shown between 50-110 degrees below the dome, so I do wonder about the probes in general.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
·

Comments

• calracefancalracefan Posts: 498
    More than likely it just a difference in the calibration of the 2 thermometers.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • I would believe the Thermapen everyday and twice on Sunday over the Maverick. Thermoworks makes really good thermometers.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,626

I would pretty well agree with @Lobsterbake.

However, believe, but calibrate!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 415
    edited July 2013
    I actually had the OPPOSITE issue a couple of days ago. I checked my butt with the Thermapen when the maverick alarmed at 190°... you can see in the video what the result was.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,317
    Can a Maverick be calibrated???
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·