Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Pulled Pork

What's your recommendation for reheating pulled pork.  I smoked and pulled a butt yesterday.  Have company coming tonight.  Read that some suggest warming in a little apple juice on the stove or in the oven.  One said to use beer.  Some say in a crockpot.  I want the best and hopefully an easy way to do this before guests arrive.  Nineee

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A slow cooker on low, or keep warm will works well. I've tried cola and root beer, and those worked. More recently, I just add extra butter, some on the cooker surface, and a few pats across the top. Doesn't hurt to have some pre-warmed sauce on the side.
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Put it in a plate. Wring out a teaspoon or so of either water, juice or whatever liquid. Place a wrung out wet paper towel over the pork and microwave for about 1 minute, stir it up and reheat until desired temp. You're kind of steaming it but it still keeps the flavors in tact and keeps the meat moist. Works for me every time.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Chicken broth in a crock pot on high. Stir it often to mix the juices up.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    There is no way to make it as good as it was when it first came off the egg. Sorry, but there just isn't. If you want the best, time your cook so it finishes at the right time.

My best attempt so far was to put the meat in a steamer basket and steam (with water) for a while. Was quite surprised.

Used Coke once. Worst ever! Will never make that mistake again!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

rtt121 said:
    Vac Seal and hot tub bath
    If this is possible, do this. It is how most packaged pulled pork is reheated.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Agree with vac pack that if possible. I've also had good results warming bbq sauce + Apple cider vinegar to near boiling then mixing the pork into that and hearing the mix over low heat in a large pan.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    First choice is Vac Pack and hot water. Second choice (for large amounts) is Nesco Electric Roaster with a little apple juice, set on low, stir frequently until hot.
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    I agree with Black Badger, I use a Slow Cooker and apple cider vinegar.

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Slow cooker and a bit of cola.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

Be careful if you vac pack. The water got to hot and the vac pak bags came apart on my first one. Could not save the pork. Now I use a boiling bags.

Add a little of your best BBQ sauce, pass out the adult beverages and you will be good to go.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Do you guys leave the gelatin and fat and let them soak back into the meat?
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Zip-lock bag and microwave. Keep the zip-lock closed
    we do this all the time and it seems fresh as "almost" can be

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser