Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

First spatchcock chicken

I did my first spatchcock chicken yesterday, it turned out great. I did 2 chickens and pork steaks along with fresh veggies from the garden. I cooked the chickens for 1 hour at 400 degrees on a raised grid then removed the grid and put them on the lower grid to get the skin crispy. I probably won't do that next time because the chicken was so tender it almost fell apart. I'm really enjoying this egg cooking.
image.jpg 1.7M

• Looks great!  Once you go spatch, you never go back.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    Looks awesome.
    Cookin in Texas
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Wait till you try a spatch turkey! O' ya!

Awesome looking cook!
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,742
    Nice job, I love the Spatch!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• RACRAC Posts: 1,548
    Nice looking cook!

Boerne, TX

• CremasterCremaster Posts: 32
    Lookin good!
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good looking cook.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 621
    Looks great. Did you brine the chicken first?  Also you can let it sit naked in the fridge for a few hours then put it on the egg - It will make the skin crispier.
    Milton, GA.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,517
    edited July 2013
    Looks very nice. I always do mine direct like you do but raised. It will do two things. First gets away from the fire down below ( I cook at 400) and you don't have to watch it as close. Second the dome helps cook it more. You did a very nice cook. To raise just get 3 split firebricks or an Adj Rig or Woo from Tom.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).