Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New ThermoWorks "remote" unit w/Phone App .... (like an industrial strength mav')

BlueTherm Duo

Michelle sends out the news letters.  They always have some good information.  Thought I'd share in case your news letter went to the spam folder.
I'd love to try this.  I'll have to wait for the full Android version and the SWMBO to forget we just bought a Mini ....

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Thermoworks FTW!

Time to get rid of this maverick!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Nice looking mobile app. Time to feed my gadget addiction again.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Waiting For The Android Version.....
    Rowlett, Texas
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Wonder what temperature the probes are rated for?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    If my maverick dies, I'll get this.  I was hoping that they could have kept this to $200 including the probes.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Wonder what temperature the probes are rated for?
    113-177 The Smokehouse Penetration Probe features a stainless overbraid to protect the cable. This probe is perfect for grilling or smoking meats, its 78" cable is small enough in diameter to be closed in a home kitchen oven door and has a 90° bend. It's also ideal for general purpose use. When used with our pot clip, it makes a good stovetop probe for candy or indoor deep frying.
    Sensor Range: -58 to 482°F (-50 to 250°C)
    Transition (SST): Max temp 482°F (250°C)
    Cable: -103 to 482°F (-75 to 250°C)

113-041:  The Crocodile Clip Oven Probe is used by commercial kitchens to calibrate and profile ovens and grills. A stainless steel overbraid protects the probe and a fiberglass inner sheath protects the 78" lead. The clip can be easily attached to an oven rack and allows you to place it right where you need it. Great for monitoring grill temps during roasting, searing or smoking.
    Sensor Range: -58 to 660°F (-50 to 350°C)
    Cable: -77 to 660°F (-75 to 350°C)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Has anyone gotten one of these yet? Any feedback, comments,review? Is it as accurate or rugged as the 8060 unit.
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,653
    mdozier said:
    Has anyone gotten one of these yet? Any feedback, comments,review? Is it as accurate or rugged as the 8060 unit.
    I placed an order yesterday.  They do not expect to have stock until a few weeks from now...  Accuracy is the same as the 8060 unit (and Thermapen). The range is my main concern; they could not give me straight answers...  I guess I'll be a guinea pig.

I'm a new egger so I may be missing something but why would anyone buy this? For just a little bit more you could get a DigiQ or stoker on sale and have so much more..
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I remember seeing that people were disappointed with the iprobe because of a weak Bluetooth connection. I wonder/hope this is better.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    I've been eyeing this too, but wanted to know what the range was like before jumping in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    I'm a new egger so I may be missing something but why would anyone buy this? For just a little bit more you could get a DigiQ or stoker on sale and have so much more..

This is temp display only - the DigiQ or stoker is temp management - they adjust the heat.

I started off with the Maverick, have been extremely pleased, it has done what I expected it to.   I felt like learning the heat control would be a good skill to perfect - so I just wanted something to tell me whats going on, then I will fix the temp as needed.

One of the big items for me, when I am cooking - I never have to open the egg from the time its loaded until its at the target temp range.   Then I open start checking for doneness with my thermapen.

I am starting to consider a temp management device ( DigiQ maybe) for the future.   I feel like I have built a good understanding of what is happening in the Egg - no longer a mystery.    What I like about the wifi connected devices is I could manage the cook without being at home.

That said - I would not change my initial approach that I took - and - it will be some time before I consider a temp management solution.

The comparison between this offering and the Maverick that I initially observe - the Maverick is substantially lower is cost.    I feel like (just reputation) this device will be solid, but I am concerned about Bluetooth, what kind of range it would have.

This does seem to provide an option to record temp's - I like that.

Technology moves forward always.

Cookin in Texas
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Ill be ordering mine right now
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @boatbum you took exactly the right approach (IMO) by learning to manually control the temp in the BGE.  I equate it to learning to drive with a stick shift, before getting an automatic transmission.

I'm into my 17th year Egging and I have a DigiQ that I use when I'm going to be away and for overnighters, but if I'm home doing 6 hour ribs, etc I like to control the temp myself.
  • boatbum

Duganboy - there is just something that is fun about watching the Egg, maybe tamping the damper occasionally.   Makes me feel like I am doing something.

My office is really close to home, would be nice to put something on early in the morning, be able to monitor for any problems from work.

Cookin in Texas
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I can buy 4 maverick 732s for that price.  I'm still on my first 732 after a year and a half.  I don't wrap my probes, just keep them out of water and no issues.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    edited July 2013
    I too manage temps just using the egg's natural abilities. I kinda enjoy this aspect of eggin since its so good in this roll. Overnights are always a bit anxious and maybe a digique or something is in my future.

I was going to order the 8060 for better temp info when I saw this thing. I can't tell if you get all the same functionality from the on-board screens. I'm not sure I want to always have to use my phone or iPad.

I wonder if you could use a Bluetooth-wifi bridge to extend this thing's range onto your home network?

Matt
    Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting
  • I used my maverick for the second time today and one of the probes has already quit. I have been very careful with it because I had read about so many people having trouble with them. Mine is still under warranty so I guess I will contact them about a new probe. Kind of wish I had waited after seeing this new one. My Thermapen has never given me any trouble.
    "If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller
  • boatbum
    I used my maverick for the second time today and one of the probes has already quit. I have been very careful with it because I had read about so many people having trouble with them. Mine is still under warranty so I guess I will contact them about a new probe. Kind of wish I had waited after seeing this new one. My Thermapen has never given me any trouble.

I would follow up as a warranty issue.   I have had mine over a year.   Only thing I do special with it is I do not wash the probes.  Wipe them off after a cook, then use a anti-bacterial wipe. 

I do not foil or anything.  Have not had any problems.

Cookin in Texas
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    That would be GREAT ifin I had phone service where I live!!!  That's what happens when you live in the sticks!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!