Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Looft Lighter reviews/thoughts

Looking for any recommendations if I should make the purchase. Would love to hear your thought and experiences.
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
·

Comments

• TurtleCreekTurtleCreek Posts: 140
    edited July 2013
    I have one and love it!

Here's  a recent thread with comments and other options:

·
  • krameskrames Posts: 57
    I don't really have any complaints with mine. I can usually start up a fire within 5-10 minutes.
    ·
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 197
    I use a paper towel and olive oil to start my fires. For me this works the best and is very inexpensive.
    ·
  • NJ_BBQNJ_BBQ Posts: 86
    I was thinking of getting one but decided not to after seeing a YouTube video where it seems the lighter stirs up a lot of ash dust.
    ·
  • abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 187
    I have one & really like it. It seem to get a fire going faster than paper towels or stater cubes. Williams Sanoma had them on sale a couple of weeks ago, I got one for $60.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

·
  • krobertsmsnkrobertsmsn Posts: 548
    You always need electricity handy...took mine back. Got tired of the extension cord unfurling/refurling. The cord on the LL is very short. It did stir up ash. It was like having a weak blow dryer on. Love my map torch
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
    ·
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 617
    Have the Looft and love it!
    Milton, GA.
    ·
  • dstrbd488dstrbd488 Posts: 65
    Hot one for Father's Day and I'm pretty fond of it. Although it could have a longer cord and I can't figure out why they didn't put a on off switch instead of a push and hold button
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    When and if my LL breaks, I will be in my car to by another one. Both of my Eggs are within 10 feet of an electrical outlet so it is easy for me to use. Just like my DigiQ Guru, some things just need electricity.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 519
    dstrbd488 said:
    Hot one for Father's Day and I'm pretty fond of it. Although it could have a longer cord and I can't figure out why they didn't put a on off switch instead of a push and hold button
    That's a safety feature with a push and hold someones not going to lay the lighter turned on ,on a wood table, on a deck etc and start a house fire
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,003
    I used one for almost a year until I bought the Bernzamatic TS8000 and haven't used it since.  The looft lighter worked great for me but since I egg every night, I needed something quicker.  Everything is fully lit in less than a minute with MAP gas.  If I only grilled a few times per week, the looft lighter would have been sufficient for me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 519
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • Gooey1Gooey1 Posts: 95
    It's great. I can't imagine life without it. The dust I find is hardly noticeable. I light in 4 places and the egg does the rest.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
    ·
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    I have a Looftlighter and middle of the road heat gun, the heat gun wins hands down, much faster. Most heat guns are cheaper. just check the heat rating on each, i cant remember what mine are.
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    Love mine
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • ParallelParallel Posts: 415
    Dust? Hell I blow compressed air into my egg after the oil soaked napkins have lit some of the charcoal when I need to get to temperature fast. It's like a Looftlighter on steroids and I've never found the dust to be an issue, I mean, it's not like I'm blowing air into the egg while there's food on the grid..

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,349
    Once I lite my egg in the center with the Bernzamatic TS8000, it's mostly good to go for long cooks. If I need to go hot for steaks, I just grab my wife's hair dryer to fan the lump. I think she is OK with it. She still asks for fillets from the Egg!

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·