Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

URGENT - Serious Travis Brisket Question

I am doing my first Travis Method Brisket. I have a 6 pound piece of brisket that went on 2 hours ago. The internal temp is reading 201 already. I have two different internal probes in and there is little difference in reading. Dome temp has been slightly over 300 but has been steady. WTF? What happened to the plateau? What happened to 1.5 hour per pound? Any thoughts.
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 5,527

I am doing my first Travis Method Brisket. I have a 6 pound piece of brisket that went on 2 hours ago. The internal temp is reading 201 already. I have two different internal probes in and there is little difference in reading. Dome temp has been slightly over 300 but has been steady. WTF? What happened to the plateau? What happened to 1.5 hour per pound? Any thoughts.

Did you probe it with a thermapen? If its done, it's done. Pull it off and FTC. Briskets can be weird, especially when they're boiled in allegro and shiner. :P

Is your dome thermo calibrated?

• mdoziermdozier Posts: 86
    If you have an instant read double check. If not, pull and reset then reinsert the probes. If its really done then like Cazzy said,its done. Check it with a couple of forks and you can tell. Don't worry about it. Foil it up and eat early. Briskest can be crazy sometimes.
  • PhiliciousPhilicious Posts: 296
    I have pulled it and have checked it with 3 different probes now and they all say 200-206.
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    I find that my briskets do cook faster using the Travis Method but 2 hours does seem short. But like @Cazzy says ...each brisket will be different. If it is done, it is done.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,432

2 hours, no way. But if IT is 200 by thermapen, then FTC.

If it was indeed 2 hours, can I buy your egg please?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

This is really nuts and gives a new meaning to cook to temp, not time. I have it wrapped in foil for now and am going to check all 3 probes. I ate a piece and it sure was good. But, the meat does seem a bit tough.
    Full disclosure - I am not using a Thermapen. One of the 3 probes is the Maverick 732 and two other old faithfuls that I am too embarrassed to give the names.
    How long can she stay FTC?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,962
    If your probes are accurate then speed to temperature (aka thermopen) is not a big deal with low&slow cooks.  So trust and then believe your indications unless you have a good reason not to.  WRT how long can you hold, with a good wrap in foil and lots of towels to eliminate air space and a good cooler you can get 4-5 hours easily.  Once in the cooler don't open til ready to slice (against the grain) and eat.
    Louisville
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 5,527
    edited June 2013

How long can she stay FTC?

When are you planning to eat?

Some have FTC'd for 8-10 hours. I personally try to limit it to 4. For a extended hold, make sure that towels completely fill the chest as it will ensure it's fully insulated.

Some throw it outside in the sun, but that's how I get dinner sometimes. I drive around neighborhoods looking for random ice chests sun bathing. Just replace the meat with a brisket shaped foil ball and broth, that way they scratch their head! :P

Thanks, guys. I recall rated all three probes and they all seem fine. My head is all F@$&?ed up just like the first time I watched the plateau. Planning on eating around 3 Eastern.
    And what about the plateau? Did my stuff not break down like it should have?