Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork shoulder

carcouettecarcouette Posts: 14
I am planning to slow cook a pork shoulder this weekend which will hopefully lead to some fantastic pulled pork sandwiches.  I have only had my LBGE for two weeks now.  Any advice on the pork shoulder so the odds of it being a success increase?

Thanks guys

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 12,827
    edited June 2013
    I would do it like this. TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini....

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,003
    edited June 2013
    @Carcouette, turbo or low 'n slow, it's hard to go wrong with this one. If you don't have a remote thermometer (e.g., Maverick) then get one before you start. Also, once you get things going, avoid the temptation to "peek"; close the lid and leave her be (unless you decide to do as @Mickey suggested). It's helpful to have a set of bear paws for pulling. And most important of all.... pictures or it didn't happen!

Good Luck!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Greensboro, NC
  • rjfalskirjfalski Posts: 12
    Which way did you end up cooking? I prefer the low and slow method; cause what's the hurry?
  • carcouettecarcouette Posts: 14
    I finally got around to doing my pork shoulder for July 4th.  I started it on the 3rd at about 7 or 8 pm after applying a homemade run from a recipe I found online.  I did add some cherry and hickory wood chips after soaking them.  I cooked it indirect at about 200 degrees for 19 hours (meat temp of 190 degrees.)  I picked up the BGE wireless grill/meat temperature probe.  This made monitoring the cook so much easier.  When the meat was done I pulled it off the BGE, wrapped it in foil, and put it into a cooler for an hour.  After that I pulled it apart and added some Sweet Baby Rays barbecue sauce and served.  It was the best pulled pork I have ever had.  Next time I would like to try to make my own barbecue sauce. I hope you like the pictures.  Any advice for improvement?
    photo.JPG
    2048 x 2048 - 1M
    pulled pork.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 664K
  • WalrusBBQWalrusBBQ Posts: 151
    Looks great in the pictures, I'm sure it was delicious. 200* is very low. I would say next time 250-275. But then again, everyone does butts differently 
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ