Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ham & Cheese Stuffed Burger w/ BGE Stuffed Burger Press

jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 883
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
After posting Grilled Chicken Parmesan and Diner-Style Steamed Cheeseburger from this weekend, I wasn't going to post this third meal, but I changed my mind figuring some folks might be interested in this new BGE stuffed burger press. The press worked as advertised and I also found a cookie cutter was a good way the cut up fillings for the burgers. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

A 1 pound, 1" thick beef chuck steak was cut into 1" strips & was put in the freezer for 45 minutes.

I discovered the well the BGE burger press creates is just over 3" in diameter. This meant I was able to use my 3" cookie cutter to cut out rounds from some imported Polish ham and some N.Y. sharp cheddar to use as my fillings.

My new baking are makes a good burger grinding and prep area. They both use my stand mixer, large bowls and the Kitchen scale.

The spices were mixed with the frozen strips of chuck steak which helps get them thoroughly mixed throughout the ground chuck. The spices I used were cumin, oregano, salt & pepper. 

The partially frozen strips of chuck steak were easily ground. The ground chuck was weighed out into 4 equal 1/4 pound portions that are formed into patties for use in the press. 

The lower patty is placed into the lower half of the burger press. It is formed so that it fills the press out to the edges.

The lid of the press is inserted with the small 3" diameter side down. This is pressed down to form a 3" well in the middle of the patty. The top is removed leaving the well that you stuff with your favorite fillings.

I installed alternating layers of the imported ham and N.Y. sharp cheddar.

The upper patty is placed over the top of the filled lower patty and the top  of the burger press is placed on again, this time with the 3" handle side up. The top cap is  used to press the two patties together with the end results shown in the lower picture. The burger is released from the press by pushing up on the base of the press. The formed burger pops out of the press and you remove the bottom disc of the press from the bottom of the patty.

The Egg has been pre-heated to 500 degrees and everything is ready to go.

The buns get a quick 15 second toasting on the half-moon cast iron griddle grate.

The buns are done and the patties are on. They cooked for 3:30 minutes per side and I tried turning them at the mid point to go for a cross hatch of grill marks. 

The burgers are ready to come off the grill. Next time I won't bother to go for the cross-hatch grill marks. They really didn't come off well. I also think I will  install the cast iron grill grate with the thin side of the bars up and not the thick side like I did here. The good news was I got ZERO leakage. I think the tight fitting disks of ham & cheese I used may have helped here too.

The burgers are done and will rest for 2 minutes.

Time to eat!! The patty is on the lower bun.

I put some relish on the patty and some Dijon mustard on the top bun.

This was a tasty burger and I can wait to try some other fillings. 

The burger press does a great job and the type of filled burgers you can make is limited only by your imagination. Only one thing: these are huge burgers-you might want to plan on splitting one between two people. 

Jim
BBQ Website: grillin' & smokin'

Middlesex County, MA
Three Large BGE's & Too Many Eggcessories to Count

Comments