Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

35 lbs of pork

drmarkodrmarko Posts: 6
Had my egg less than 2 weeks and decide to use it to cook for 100 people.  Made a test run of a 5 lb pork butt the week prior and every thing went well.  So loaded up the green egg with 35 lbs of pork rubbed in a simple rub that I found here and let her fly.  Kept the dome temperature at around 240 for 18 hours.  Some of the smaller buts were done around 15 hours, three of the larger ones were done at 18 hours.    I cut up 8 large Vidalia  onions and baked them in the oven for three hours, mixed them up with the pulled pork along with 8 bottles of Bullseye carolina sauce.   I had people coming up to me telling me it was the best pulled pork they ever ate.  I had 10 lbs left that was taken home by guests.  Thank you eggers for the helpful tips that enabled me to pull this off
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• RACRAC Posts: 1,526
    That's alot of pork. Nice job! Welcome!

Ricky

Spring, TX

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Very nice cook
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• That's some great looking pork.  I see your egg area is under construction.  Please post some pics so we can see the progress.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,907
    Way to do DrMarko. Nothing like jumping into the deep end.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited June 2013
    Aggressive cook only 2 weeks in. Very nicely done.
    AMAZING. That a way to jump in!!

XLBGE 
  • btgt69btgt69 Posts: 5
    is that a large BGE or XL; where did you find the second grid?
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,160
    Way to go! Looks great!
  • drmarkodrmarko Posts: 6
    Its a XL egg.  the second grid is the grill extender found and your local egg store

• LDRLDR Posts: 274
    Looks great - I'd say you're going to become very popular around there.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,695
    Holy Pig thats a lot of pork. Nice job way to jump right in head first.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• btgt69btgt69 Posts: 5
    drmarko: thanks, I use the triple tier on my Large BGE , I remove the middle tier and have successfully cooked 5 - 7 pounders, 3 on bottom grid around post and 2 on top, hope to find double tier without post and 4 - 7 pound brisket flats