Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Beef, beef, and more beef

I had the opportunity to go to the Meyer Natural Foods company ranch in Helmsville Montana this week to see how their red angus beef is raised.  It was my first trip to Montana, it is BEAUTIFUL country up there. 

Despite eating a ton of excellent beef for the time that I was there, I came home and had a hankerin' for more! 

First - Strip steak sandwich.  I experimented with sous vide, putting seasoned steaks in the bath then grilled for 60 seconds.  I over did the steaks for my tastes but it was still good.  Still experimenting with the sous vide machine but the jury is still out on it.

Next was a recipe from the new Real Grilling cookbook from Jamie Purviance - a coffee rubbed bone in ribeye with a stout glaze.  By itself the glaze didn't taste great but together it was very good.  Did 3 minutes a side at 500f.

Meanwhile Alexis had me smoke a pair of pork loin back ribs for a co-worker's anniversary.  So not beef but we didn't eat it either.

Finally my favorite was last night's dinner.  I made a THICK strip steak into Manhattan fillets and reverse seared them.  Roasted at 250f until 127f internal (right about 1hr 5min) and grilled 60 seconds a side at 500f.   The sauce was like a bearnaise but instead of adding a gastride of wine/pepper/tarragon I added my cajun rub.  Served with stone ground Cajun cheese grits and asparagus.

When I was leaving the Missolua airport, I saw this T-shirt in the shop and HAD to buy it.

Hope you all are having a great weekend! 

Comments