Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

4:35 min Turbo Pulled Pork

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,436
Total time for 7lb turbo pulled pork 4:35 min. This was very good. imageimageimageimage Pulled at 203.
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,821
    Did Linda make you write those temps on the pen?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,748
    Looks similar to the 5 lb one I did a few weeks ago.  Pulled pork in less then 5 hours is a good thing.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • outrageousoutrageous Posts: 531
    only way to do butts, plus you get to sleep!!!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    I'd much rather do an all nighter. I enjoy the wife pimp slapping me when the maverick goes off. No, seriously. I go out around 2 am and shut the vents. An hour later.... Pimp slap.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 567
    henapple said:
    I'd much rather do an all nighter. I enjoy the wife pimp slapping me when the maverick goes off. No, seriously. I go out around 2 am and shut the vents. An hour later.... Pimp slap.
    You are starting to be the best egghead!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,436
    edited June 2013
    """You are starting to be the best egghead!"""
    Now that is a very low bar to shoot for =))
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,142
    Nice man!!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    @mickey Did you 250 it to an IT of 165, then foil and do 350 to finish?  I need to do something for an event this wednesday and thought I might have to be up all night.  I would to try this and be half way productive at work that day.  Thanks for the help. 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·
    Eggucator said:
    @mickey Did you 250 it to an IT of 165, then foil and do 350 to finish?  I need to do something for an event this wednesday and thought I might have to be up all night.  I would to try this and be half way productive at work that day.  Thanks for the help. 
    TURBO BUTTS · Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    Nice man!!
    Don't you get no more bright ideas brother. Just sayin. Your slap maybe a tad different.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • erniemcclainerniemcclain Posts: 367
    You are a rock star.  Looks great.  I will NEVER do an overnight butt.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774

Mickey,

You have the right color thermapen but where did the graffiti come from?  Food looks great.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    Lookin good. I still prefer the overnighter for flavor, but for the savings in time, the turbo butt is hard to beat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • RoundTownerRoundTowner Posts: 125
    You r the KING!
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,580
    Yup, only way to cook a butt. I have been all in on turbo for over a year now, thanks to you.
    Glad to see the master still has the touch.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,494
    It's all in what you enjoy-if you want hot&fast then turbo is the cook of choice-If you prefer the low&slow with the attendant protracted adult supervisory beverage time then there you are.  And for the newbies-the end-product of each is different but you should drive each road and make your own choice.  But should you land in the low&slow camp don't tell @Mickey ; :)>-
    Louisville
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Can't beat the amount of moisture in that pulled pork!!  Looks great!
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    Won't be in Waco till wednesday...hope some is being served for lunch
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    Mick, IF you got that puppy up to the needle buried level I bet you could do it in less than an hour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,964
    DAMN!!  That pulled pork looks great!  You are the master of the turbo method and yours looks better than any turbo i've seen.  Something tells me you're not sharing all your tricks!  lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • kdinkkdink Posts: 149
    @mickey ; Is that a direct or indirect that you are using?
    planning on using this technique today
    Bergen County, NJ
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,743
    @mickey was cooking indirect for this. A lot of folks (me included) have been skipping the foil because it softens the bark. Your cook will be similar in time if you just cook 350° straight through with no foil IMHO

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    kdink said:

@mickey ; Is that a direct or indirect that you are using?
    planning on using this technique today

Indirect

·

@mickey was cooking indirect for this. A lot of folks (me included) have been skipping the foil because it softens the bark. Your cook will be similar in time if you just cook 350° straight through with no foil IMHO

Sorry, I am old and slow. NO FOIL, NO FOIL anymore. I changed several months ago and just noticed it was in this old post.
    NO FOIL.

·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,421
    I hope you don't mind me saying... Your butt looks amazing. :D
    ·
    Dyal_SC said:

I hope you don't mind me saying... Your butt looks amazing. :D

Please pass on to my wife :)]

·
  • ChowmanChowman Posts: 159
    For us newbies, can you do an overnight cook without any external temp controllers on a LBGE?
    I'd like to try it if it ever stops snowing...
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,743
    You certainly can. Once you get the egg dialed in to temp and let it stabilize for a hr or so you should be good. I have to admit that I haven't done an overnighter in a while since I learned to Turbo my butts. I really like my sleep so I would rather get up early and cook a bit hotter than cooking during the night.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
    Chowman said:

For us newbies, can you do an overnight cook without any external temp controllers on a LBGE?
    I'd like to try it if it ever stops snowing...

For damn sure you can. I don't own any anymore.

·
  • jcasparyjcaspary Posts: 1,473
    All I have is a maverick and all it does is tell me meat and grid temp. Just did a butt the other day and it was the best one yet.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
    ·