Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

If I had an 8 pound butt....

Would it change the flavor profile if I cut it in half and then cooked them alongside. The purpose would be to go faster and still do a slow cook.
Thanks for your thoughts and insight!
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,561
    Bone in or boneless?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Boneless.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,609
    I am not sure they would cook any faster, when I do two 8 pounders it takes the same time as when I only cook one. I mostly do low and slow. Anybody else?

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,561
    It would cook in half the time because each would be half the mass of the whole. Should be fine if you tie them up so they are uniform. A butt is made up of a few different parts so probably just need to keep an eye on them as one may cook more quickly than the other.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Thanks HI 54!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,224
    I use that method when wanting a faster finish. Turboed 3 at 4 hrs.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MJGMJG Posts: 193
    I go that route for more bark!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Hi54putty said:

It would cook in half the time because each would be half the mass of the whole. Should be fine if you tie them up so they are uniform. A butt is made up of a few different parts so probably just need to keep an eye on them as one may cook more quickly than the other.

What he said…
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·