Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Adjustable Rig w/ Extender and Sliding Racks

Looking at this setup for my LBGE but having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Do any of you that have this setup care to chime in on what you like/love about it?  Or something you wish was done better?

Is it easy to use all the advertised features?  Or am I better off to save some money and just get a Woo to go with my plate setter?

Thanks!
·

Comments

• Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,519
    If you pull the trigger, you will never regret it.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • EvansEggerEvansEgger Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    That is my setup and I love it.
    Go Hogs Go
    ·
  • wibrewerwibrewer Posts: 21
    Thanks guys, I think you've pushed me in the right direction.

Do either of you own a plate setter as well...if so do you still use it or is it collecting dust?
    ·
  • brianbalabrianbala Posts: 27
    I bought the R&B combo with the oval stone, the 16" stainless steel drip pan (haven't quite figured out a good way to position it yet), the extender and one sliding grid about a month ago and though I haven't used it to it's full capabilities (multi-level cooks) I've enjoyed having it and it lives in my LBGE.  I like having the stable raised direct set-up, which I mostly use the top position of the rig with the oval grate.  I used the extender one time for pizza and it positioned the pizza stone way up in the dome, which was perfect.  I really like being able to remove the entire rig to tend to the coals or to switch to the lower cast iron grate when reverse searing my steaks.  I look forward to the warm weather and cooking on the multi-levels for crowds at the house.  All-in-all, I haven't had any regret and consider it money well spent.
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
    ·
  • brianbalabrianbala Posts: 27

I haven't used the platesetter since I got the AR.

Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
    ·
  • EvansEggerEvansEgger Posts: 54
    I bought the platesetter when I first got my large Egg, but after getting the adj rig, I haven't used it.
    Go Hogs Go
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,519
    I recently sold my large. When I bought the AR, my platesetter became a paper weight.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,799
    Plate setter for sale seems like the theme.  I have not used mine since getting the AR either.  I used the plate setter ONCE!

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    I used my place setter until I bought my AR. Love my AR R&B oval combo with extender and extra grid, and slider. Gave me a ton of extra room. 
    I only take out the AR to go low direct. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • I was in the same situation as you. I ended up buying the 2 Tier Rack from Ceramic Grill Works. About the same price..
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    I use both for extra high raised indirect. Baking bread and stuff.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • WylecyotWylecyot Posts: 105
    After debating for a long while, I pulled the trigger on the A/R Customer Combo about 2 months ago.  I know you've read this, but it's true...I don't know how I lived without it!

I ordered it with the oval grid, but for my cooking I wish I would have stayed with the round.  The R&B combo did not come with the spider, which I really wanted for woking, searing, etc.  I use the A/R in some form 85% of the time. 

My regret...I did not order the A/R Extender.  I have seen a need for it on several occasions.  I will be ordering it soon!
    ·
  • BillPinNCBillPinNC Posts: 68
    I bought mine when they came out with the oval setup, only time the plate setter has been used since was doing a large turkey. Great products!!
    ·