Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baking Steel 'Problem' ? - (Wrong size)

Hello All, 
I jumped on the baking steel offer a week or so ago and just got a confirmation that the order had been sent. I ordered a 21" for my XL thinking that would give me the most cooking area (which should be true). My concern is that I might have limited my ability to cook above the felt line on top of my AR by getting such a large steel. Anyone have any experience using something over ~18" in diameter high in the dome? How badly did I screw up here? 

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
·

Comments

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 877
    @Black_Badger, I know a number of people ordered a 21" for the XL, I don't know that you are going to have a problem, but other people who own a XL can comment better than I.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    I haven't used my xl in a couple of years but as I rember there is a ton of room around the 18" stone. If it's a problem you can get it cut at a weld shop with plasma. That would be the cheapest.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 614
    the standard pizza stone for the XL egg is 21 inches in diameter. So I don't think you will have any problems. I ordered a 21" for mine also.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,016
    Thanks all, excited to get it and try it out. Will update with any issues and/or successes. 

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • BjorgBjorg Posts: 237
    Using an inverted spider to cook right under the felt line would be your best bet. 

The adjustable rig is 19.5 inches diameter for a reason.

Quebec - Canada
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    My peel is 16' wide, so I went with the 18" for my XL.  Not going to make a pizza much more than 15" round, not matter how big the cooking surface is.
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I got the 21 inch
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    18 is what I use for raised on the xl.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    18 is what I use for raised on the xl.
    Means, I'm good then :)>-
    ·