Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs Idea, What you think?

AltonAlton Posts: 432
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Took off today to watch the Master's and have some me time. Planning on smoking 2racks of ribs..rather than using a store bought rub, I'm thinking simple salt , pepper and garlic powder. Then spritzing them with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and bourbon. I plan on using a blend of pecan and apple wood for the smoke. Going to sauce one rack and leave on dry. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
·

Comments

• Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 558
    Good for you Alton. I'll be home watching the Master most of the day as well. As far as the ribs...I have grown to love the flavor a good rub gives them but I used to do something similar and they were great. I would use pepper and garlic (no salt) and spritz with a combo of 1 part honey, 1 part bourbon & 3 parts sprite. They were great. So if your looking for an alternative to the rub flavor, go with your plan...or a combo of both. Enjoy! Go Boom Boom Couples....wouldn't that be awesome if he won???
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,414
    I've done the same mix, but w. a little sugar and a dash of cayenne added. Worked just fine for some exceptionally meaty spares.

The spritz should add a lot, altho' I'd have trouble giving the bourbon to the ribs. I've been using sharper vinegars, like sherry and champagne, and a 2 year old bottle of Bragg's apple cider vinegar w. mother. I like the boost.
    ·
  • egzillaegzilla Posts: 38
    I have become a great fan of the combination of pecan and apple wood.
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

Sounds good, I would also add a little Turbinado sugar and celery seed to your rub.

·
  • zosobao5150zosobao5150 Posts: 114
    I like some rosemary on mine...yum
    XL BGE
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
    +1 on the sugar. I used 1 part sugar, 1 part black pepper and 2 parts kosher salt for years until I got into Mickey's coffee rub. The sugar caramelizes to make a healthier bark. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·