Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

John’s Chorizo makes about 2-1/2 lbs of Sausage

egger aveegger ave Posts: 580

John’s Chorizo makes about 2-1/2 lbs of Sausage

Ingredients:

2 dried Ancho or New Mexico Red Chiles

1 lb of 75/25 ground beef, extra lean meat doesn’t make good sausage IMHO.

1 lb of ground pork

6 oz of Salt Pork

8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled

1-1/2 TSP of Salt

1 TSP of ground black pepper

½ TSP of Cumin

½ TSP of Oregano, I use fresh but dried will work

3 TBS of Ancho Chile Powder

1 cup of water

2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar

Making the sausage

Cut the stem off the peppers. In a small sauce pan, boil one cup of water and the peppers for about 5 mins until the peppers are soft. Turn the heat off and let the peppers and water cool for 10 mins.

Add the garlic cloves, spices, the peppers, salt pork and ¼ cup of water into your food processor. Blend until the ingredients become a paste.

Place the meat, salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining water from cooking the chile’s and the paste in a large bowl and blend by hand.  

Will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. In the freezer about 10 days.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    Man that looks good. Will you be cooking it in Austin?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,461
    This one is bookmarked. Been wanting a ground chorizo recipe. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • egger aveegger ave Posts: 580
    yes, will be cooking Chorizo at the Austin Eggfest, probably on skewers for samples.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 4 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. "Friends don't let friends cook with propane"
    ·
    The Chorizo will keep much longer in the freezer, never had it last more than a couple of weeks to test how long though.
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    egger ave said:
    The Chorizo will keep much longer in the freezer, never had it last more than a couple of weeks to test how long though.
    If you shrink wrap it, I'd bet it would be good as new after a year.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    egger ave said:
    If you shrink wrap it, I'd bet it would be good as new after a year.
    will have to try that, thanks for the suggestion.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    Sounds like a killer recipe. I need to try that one.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,461
    Please excuse my ignorance, but was is "Salt Pork"??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Salt Pork is made from same part of the hog as bacon. It's saltier and not cured. You can buy 1 lb cryovaced packages at a lot of grocery stores.
    ·