Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What is the best way to freeze a Boston Butt after it has been cooked?

What do you guys think?  What is the best way to freeze a cooked butt?
XL owner in Wichita, KS
·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have frozen "PULLED" pork in plastic bags before and defrosted and re-heated in boiling water then open the bags and served --  couldn't tell that it wasn't right off the grill..
    ·
  • CincyTikiCincyTiki Posts: 159
    Only 6 months into Egging, but when I cook an extra butt we pull it, and put 6 oz servings into ziplocs and then put them all into a 1 gal Ziploc and freeze. 1 bag makes a good sandwich and we can grab multiple when making pulled pork nachos or pizza. A little apple juice and /or apple cider vinegar when reheated works great. Hope that helps.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
    ·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,262

In the freezer...........................LOL......JK.

I put a portion into a sandwich bag and just that inthe fridge and reheat in simmering water.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,444
    Food saver it into portions for sandwiches, tacos, etc. Pull out portion you want and sit in boiling water.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Thanks guys.  I will have to try one of these suggestions.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 283
    I pull it.
    Measure into 1 pound portions (Four 3 oz sandwiches for the four of us)
    Vacuum seal it.

When we want to eat it, simply drop a bag in the sous vide at about 135 degrees. Whenever we are ready to eat....pull bag out and heat to desired temp in microwave.

I do not add bbq sauce to the bags before I seal and freeze them. I may want to use the pulled pork for something other then sandwiches and I want to be able to add the flavor I want at the time I use it. Nachos, pizza, flatbread, whatever.
    ·
  • jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 283
    These babies are sitting at 180 right now...can't wait to dig into them for dinner:

·
  • jccbone62jccbone62 Posts: 195
    Nice pic and thanks for the suggestion.  I need to get a vacuum sealer for for cooks.  I will have to shop around and see what I can come up with.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • FbialasFbialas Posts: 6
    Not a year old yet. What happened to my egg? Green ceramic chipping off! I'm stunned. Will performance be affected? I've never seen any pics of eggs doing this before. imageimage
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,795
    that looks defective to me.  Call the mothership up.

·