Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is Wicked Good "Twice" as Good as Royal Oak?

I know, I know, another lump coal thread...

I've read a ton and started out with the leftover Cowboy that I had, then tried the BGE I got with the Egg then a bag of Royal Oak and I just ordered a bag of Wicked Good shipped to my local Ace.

The Royal Oak, although only 8.8lbs worked out very well and at $6.50, is a good price; the Wicked Good was $21 for a 20lb bag.  It's not exactly double but is Wicked worth the wait of shipping and the extra cost?  Thanks!

·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    no

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • BigGreenBBQBigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    edited March 2013

If you have an ace hardware nearby you can get it shipped to the store for free. If so it is not nearly twice the cost. Plus it is a 22lb bag.  I have not see RO for $6.50 - closer to $7 here in Virginia Beach.  Three bags of RO  @ $6.50 a bag = $19.50 for 25.8 lbs --- you are getting 3.8 lbs for $1.50 less.    However I usually buy it when ace is running a 15% - 20 % off coupon which makes it cheaper... I also buy it in bulk so I am not waiting -- its like letting ace store it for me!

I like Royal Oak if I can't get Wicked Good...

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Like VI said NO NO NO......................
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    I like both kinds but to answer your question, NO.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,607
    In my experience, it is about 1/3 more expensive and more than 1/3 better. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,705
    No
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Wickedgood lasts a long time but NO!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,580
    they both suck... Ozark Oak. @travisstrick... change that dang avatar... scary.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    edited March 2013

@henapple   - Where do you get Ozark Oak - I cannot find any places that sell it locally and it is expensive to ship.         

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,302

no

Mickey said:

Like VI said NO NO NO......................

SkinnyV said:

No

Wickedgood lasts a long time but NO!

No

XLBGE 
    ·
    Gee, with that crew as advisors would be out gettin' me some wicked good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Gee, with that crew as advisors would be out gettin' me some wicked good

:))
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,881
    Peeps will try a new brand of lump then formulate a love/hate relationship based on their first cook with that lump.  I'm tellin' ya it's more likely the quality of the fire built, the smoke wood, or the meat or seasoning that contributes to that opinion than it is the lump. 

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    edited March 2013
    Peeps will try a new brand of lump then formulate a love/hate relationship based on their first cook with that lump.  I'm tellin' ya it's more likely the quality of the fire built, the smoke wood, or the meat or seasoning that contributes to that opinion than it is the lump. 
    Kind of like Mickey refusing to try Central Market lump. Its cheap and available year round. It's also superior to Ozark Oak.  :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    You'd never catch Mickey in a froofroo store like Central Market buying gourmet lump....  Wait, doesn't he have a poodle?

·

@henapple   - Where do you get Ozark Oak - I cannot find any places that sell it locally and it is expensive to ship.         

where are you?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,653
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder-not all attributes can be tied to the $$.  There are several brands of lump (check out nakedwhiz.com for reviews) and many have different qualities that appeal to the buyer.  You decide-we don't all buy the same car (although I'm guessing "Don Toyota" would like that if a certain brand :)>- ) and so it is with most things. FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
    What's a froo froo store. Mick's not a cross dresser is he? No wait...I've seen him in a skirt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Kind of like Mickey refusing to try Central Market lump. Its cheap and available year round. It's also superior to Ozark Oak.  :ar!
    dem's fightin' werds....I kick yer ass if you weren't bigger, stronger and younger than me....I can talk smack from TN.
    ·
    henapple said:

where are you?
    Virginia Beach
    ·
    lousubcap said:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder-not all attributes can be tied to the $$.  There are several brands of lump (check out nakedwhiz.com for reviews) and many have different qualities that appeal to the buyer.  You decide-we don't all buy the same car (although I'm guessing "Don Toyota" would like that if a certain brand :)>- ) and so it is with most things. FWIW-

you can't stop a Toyota salesman.... or a Toyota.
    ·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    You'd never catch Mickey in a froofroo store like Central Market buying gourmet lump....  Wait, doesn't he have a poodle?
    Not on subject, but Mickey's poodle, Nellie, is the best dog I have seen in a long time.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • Wally world has it

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
    ·
    nellie and I have a close relationship..
    ·

henapple said:

where are you?

Virginia Beach

I'm not coming your way or I'd bring you some....
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    henapple said:
    That's against the law.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    henapple said:
    henapple said:

where are you?
    Virginia Beach

Thanks for the offer -- my momma always said it is the thought that counts
    ·

henapple said:

That's against the law.

I thought that was accepted in central TX
    ·

henapple said:

henapple said:

where are you?

Virginia Beach

Thanks for the offer -- my momma always said it is the thought that counts

that never helped me late at night in the bar... lol
    ·
    henapple said:
    Nellie's been fixed. ;)

·