Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pellets

I was thinking about buying some wood pellets from my local Ace (they just started stocking it) and wanted to see if anyone uses them in the egg (like you would use wood chips & chunks - putting them on the coals and not just in a AMS). I have heard they burn hotter and longer than sawdust or chips.  I use chips and chunks often but was looking to experiment with these pellets. Any experience on these - any suggestions? 
·

Comments

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,513
    I was going to ask the same last week.cheaper than lump too!!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,242
    I used to do it on my webber, haven't since I found a decent supplier of chunks. It worked good on there I think @chubbs did it recently, I'm sure they will report soon
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,406
    Last pulled pork I made I mixed in apple pellets I got with my AMS throughout the lump. Worked great. I did have a few chunks in there but definitely got fantastic smoke flavor
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • BigGreenBBQBigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Chubbs said:
    Last pulled pork I made I mixed in apple pellets I got with my AMS throughout the lump. Worked great. I did have a few chunks in there but definitely got fantastic smoke flavor

How much do you think you use - in handfuls... did they last long or burn up right away?

Thanks Chubbs

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,406
    I mixed Two handfuls trough the lump. No, it didn't burn right up. As the lump burned it Constantly found some pellets. It smoked nicely for hours.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,513
    Oh a newbie with to much guinness in his veins...I thought the pellets were in place of lump not just for smoking!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,016
    I might have to pick me up some pellets. Good tip/question.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • BigGreenBBQBigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Oh a newbie with to much guinness in his veins...I thought the pellets were in place of lump not just for smoking!!!
    I don't know why you couldn't use it in place of lump. I know a few that use just wood in the egg and these pellets are used in wood pellet fireplaces so - you would just need some sort of basket to hold them in I think... I just want it for smoke...
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,016
    They use them in pellet grills too. I would think that they wouldn't get as hot as lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·