Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butternut Squash

ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,451
Okay, lets hear it or better yet see it. I have one that will hit the egg tonight and never done one. What is the best way to cook it. It will be accompanying ribeyes and green beans. And go.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
·

Comments

• doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I recall cutting one in half removing seeds brushed with olive oil. Indirect at about 350 till it pokes easy with a fork. Wife tends to then blend them and make butternut soup.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • caneggercanegger Posts: 532
    We usually cut it in half scoop out crap ( like a pumpkin ) then put in butter and brown sugar. I forget cook times
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    Split in half, butter, salt and pepper. Roast until tender and enjoy.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I usually cut into cubes Dust with pineapple head from dizzy pig and roast until tender
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    I take and cut a channel in the squash from ther seed area back to the end of the squash.  I am not a "real" butternut squash person, but the wife is and she said this was one of the best she ever had!!!
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,451
    Ended up making up my own recipe as I started before I got answers. Was trying not to just resort to butter. Peeled it, sliced in half, cleaned it out then sliced into three inch strips to prevent from falling trough grate. Tossed in balsamic vinegar, EVOO, salt, pepper, thyme, and minced garlic cloves. Let marinate for an hour while steak coming to room temp. Reverse seared the steak and threw the squash on a few minutes before searing steak. Cook them on high heat. Great flavor in marinade. Will do this again.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,451
    edited March 2013
    Oh, no pics because wasn't too creative of a cook. Everyone knows what squash and steak look like. Thanks for responses.
    ·