Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATK Boneless Turkey Breast (Pic Heavy)

Options
J_Que
J_Que Posts: 223

I'm a huge fan of America's Test Kitchen. Own several of their books and often try to adapt their recipes for the Egg. My latest attempt was their boneless turkey breast recipe.

Started with a large turkey breast. Pulled the skin off and sliced the breast into two nice size pieces. Salted each side and stacked them on top of each other. Wrapped the skin back around the breasts and tied them together with some butcher twine. Rubbed with a little EVOO and sprinkled on some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub. (Don't let the name fool you. It's great for poultry!) Back into the fridge for a bit while I sparked up the Egg.image

Added a couple apple chunks and stabilized the egg at 350. Cooked indirectly until the Therma read 160. Pulled and rested a bit while I finished up the crispy cow licked potato slices in the oven. Both turned out great. The turkey had a nice crispy skin with a super juicy interior. The potatoes were super crispy on the outside with a mashed texture on the inside.  

Sliced the turkey and served with the crispy potatoes. Sorry no plating pictures as my friends would not allow me to delay the serving any longer. Hope you like and thanks for looking. J

imageimage
I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Looks good enough to eat! Exactly how did you do the taters? Time, temp,etc? Did you put oil on them before the rub?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yum yum yummy!
  • J_Que
    edited March 2013
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Looks good enough to eat! Exactly how did you do the taters? Time, temp,etc? Did you put oil on them before the rub?

I didn’t include the steps for the potatoes on the original post because I didn’t cook them on the Egg.

Here you go: Pre-heated the oven to 450 with a baking sheet in. In the meantime slice a couple Yukon Golds about a half inch thick then add them to a pot and cover with cold water. Bring them to a boil over high heat and then reduced to a simmer for about 5 minutes.

Drained the potatoes well and then add a little oil, salt and DP Cow Lick. Toss them until the exteriors of the slices are well coated. You want to rough them up a bit, but don’t break them apart. Transfer them to the hot baking sheet and put them back into the oven. Roast them until the bottoms are golden brown and crisp. (About 15-20 minutes) Then flip them and roast for another 15-20 minutes longer. Once they are nice and crispy I pull them out and season with a little more salt and DP to taste.

There are a several tricks to this recipe. Use Yukon Golds as they stand up better and give a nice buttery taste. Second, always preheat the oven with the pan in it as it will give you a nice crispy exterior. Lastly, don’t over boil the potatoes. They should be just undercooked before you start the roast.

Once you prefect this recipe you won’t roast potatoes any other way.

Enjoy!

J

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Great cook, Turkey is underappreciated in tjoa household, needs to cook it more.
    Seattle, WA
  • RickyDavisJr
    Options

J_Que, awesome cook!  I want to duplicate, but I've got a question:  how did you get the skin to stay attached to the meat? 

You pulled it off first, then just placed it back on and tied?  Seems like it wouldn't stick at all, even with the butcher twine. 

• J_Que
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Thanks RDJ. You'd be surprised at what a little twine can do. I started with a bone in turkey breast and pulled the skin off before I cut the breasts off . Flipped the two pieces so they were somewhat uniform and stretched the skin back over them. You won't get the skin to cover the entire thing, but if you pull the skin off carefully you'll get most of the breasts covered. When wrapping, keep the portion of the breasts without the skin on the bottom of your cutting board. Use buttonhole stitch around the width and run the ends back through the length of it, tying the ends together. If your a little nervous about the stitch try it on a towel before you attempt to do it on the breasts. Best of luck. Let me know how it turns out for you.