Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Center cut brisket flat

BordelloBordello Posts: 5,924
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My local store only has center cut brisket flats, $3.49#, no fat cap. I know I can do it under a butt or cover with bacon, does the bacon add flavor as well and if so, does it take away from the brisket flavor???[p]Thanks,[p]New Bob (getting older)ÜÜÜ

Comments

• JSlotJSlot Posts: 1,218
    New Bob,[p]That's a pretty expensive brisket. Especially if you have to put something else with it to cook it. Local Walmart sells whole briskets for $1.18 and flats for $2.29. If they are jacking up the price because of the words "center cut", IMHO it ain't worth it.[p]Jim
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,924
    JSlot,
    I know what you mean about the price but there is only myself and I'm small so a little meat goes pretty far. I can get the flat as small as 2 3/4#'s. They are pretty uniform in that they cut the thin end off and the thick end, then they trim "all" the fat off. I was more worried about using the bacon and ending up with a bacon flavored brisket. (I use honey bacon so maybe that would not be bad.[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• drbbqdrbbq Posts: 1,151
    New Bob,
    What you have is really not very appropriate for BBQing. I'd braise it and try another day with a whole peice of meat. Those cut ends will dry out quick and the bacon can't substitute for the attached beef fat.[p]BBQ is a process that requires fat to render and baste the meat over a long period of time while the meat breaks down and develops a bark that is sort of like a slow cooked roux. What you have doesn't seem to fit the process I just described. I don't think a 2-3/4 lb flat will work very well either. Invite some frienfds over and cook a real brisket.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe
    Dr. BBQ
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,924
    drbbq,
    Great advice and I apprecitate it.[p]Thanks much,
    New Bob

• New Bob,I wouldn't buy because of no fat cap. IMHO that is the reason for the success of the brisket.[p]
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 534
    By me, brisket is $7 / lb.  Where can I find it at a good price?
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,193
    JSlot said:

New Bob,[p]That's a pretty expensive brisket. Especially if you have to put something else with it to cook it. Local Walmart sells whole briskets for $1.18 and flats for $2.29. If they are jacking up the price because of the words "center cut", IMHO it ain't worth it.[p]Jim

$4.99 minimum /lb Seattle.
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,901
    edited March 2013
    @Z_Eggineer Not sure how deep you had to dig for this thread but it's nearly 10 years old. Now days anything below 4.50 per pound for a flat is pretty good.  Whole packers anywhere under 3 bucks per pound is pretty good.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 9,002
    mebbe Vanilla could put cobweb icons on the thread in the search results - more webs the older it is.

• Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 534

I was searching for brisket threads, doing first one this weekend.  Sam's is selling for $2.39 /lb supposedly.  I asked if it was a whole packer, and the person kept saying "Yes for the whole package".  Not sure what they meant, but they didn't have the best English.

I realized it was old.  But even with lets say 3% inflation / year shouldn't be more than $5 / lb.  I guess beef prices have risen faster.

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 1,901
    Beef has gone up about 200% in the last 18 months. Regular priced 80/20 hamburger is about 5 bucks a pound. 2 years ago you could get 3 pounds of hamburger for 5 bucks.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.