Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Chuck Roast?

Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
Anybody ever put one of these on the egg? I was just at Sam's and they had a few of these that looked great. Certified Angus Beef. May get one and inject it and throw some rub on it and see how it turns out.

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    sure thing. grind it up for burgers. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    I put some on a v-rack over a drip pan a few weeks ago.   I think I rubbed with Montreal steak. Sort of like this: 

cooked at about 275 dome. I wanted to get it to 200, where I could pull it.  I should have given it more time - it only got to 165 but the kids were hungry .  Had two thick pieces - chopped one up and used for tacos - delicious because they absorb a ton of smoke.  The other I froze and will use for chili.

Next time will cook to higher temp. (and take pictures)
    Mamaroneck
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    Easiest way is to treat it like brisket.  Season with beef rub, smoke at 250f to an internal temp of 160f-ish.  Wrap in foil with with a little beef broth and cook to 200f internal. 
    Knoxville, TN
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,884
    Search out pulled beef-chuck is the required ingredient.  Just add big green egg to your search query on google and you should find a few links.  It's better than pulled pork in my book. FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,329
    @hapster

just wait, he will come and share some knowledge

XLBGE 
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,790

There's only one way to cook chuck roast in my opinion, pulled beef!  And you do it just like you would pulled pork except pull it at 205-215.  Easy and one of the best cooks on the egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Thanks for the replies. So does it fall apart like a pulled pork or is it something I can slice like brisket? Sorry for the ignorance but this is new territory for me. Every time I see a good cut at the meat counter, my head starts a spinnin.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,884
    edited March 2013
    Take it up into the 210-215*F territory and pull like pulled pork...make sure your probe slides in and out with ease before pulling.  There are a few good recipes out there-check them out and enjoy.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Plano_JJ said:

Thanks for the replies. So does it fall apart like a pulled pork or is it something I can slice like brisket? Sorry for the ignorance but this is new territory for me. Every time I see a good cut at the meat counter, my head starts a spinnin.

Cook to 205 and it will fall apart easily. I am a huge fan and like better than pulled pork. I just mustard, rub and smoker.
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    I've done this for pulled beef and it is very good! I did not use the maple syrup though

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,075
    I've done this for pulled beef and it is very good! I did not use the maple syrup though

I have done this one and it is a great recipe. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,542
    I did Barbacoa for tacos. Yum.
    Im all over it, glad I asked now. That pulled beef looks awesome. So when I pull it do I let it rest in foil? Thanks! Injectable marinade or just rub? Smoke around 250-300?
    edited March 2013
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,790
    Plano_JJ said:
    So when I pull it do I let it rest in foil? Thanks! Injectable marinade or just rub? Smoke around 250-300?
    You don't need to rest in foil, only if you want to delay lunch/dinner for a while.
    I slap on worchestershire and then rub right before I put it on the egg.  Never tried injecting.
    I go about 275 dome.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

edited March 2013
  • I'm cooking and this thread is killing me.
    Clanton, Al LBGE

I'm cooking and this thread is killing me.
    LOL, just keep hittin that Yuengling and it will be alright. I am doing one of these saturday.
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,993
    Is there a general cooking time per pound? Is it a daytime or an overnighter? This might have to be a weekend adventure since it is supposed to be really nice weather

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    This post has been speaking to me since yesterday, I'm going to do this cook again this weekend.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mattman
    I plan on two hours per pound at 250 dome, but if I am in a hurry it always takes longer. Worchestershire coating, indirect pull around 200. It is still dryer than pork in my opinion, but makes a nice change.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,993
    Thanks Bob

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
    So what do I do with this thing when its done? Pull it apart with a fork? I may eat a little bit but I am saving the rest for the week. Just take it out the fridge and warm it up?
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,584

I did Barbacoa for tacos. Yum.

This is on my radar.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013