Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Recipe for Berlin Doner Kebaps

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
Had a sandwich from Verts today at the Austin kite festival, and was blown away with how good the Berlin style Doner Kebaps were. Can't believe I had never even heard of these. Anyone have a recipe?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options
    Reminded me of my USAF days in Berlin. Doner Kebabs are described here and are made from lamb in Berlin. I lived in the largest Turkish community (Tempelhof) outside of Turkey and there was no shortage of kebab stands on every main street. To me they're the same as a Greek gyro that you see at malls across the US. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    The Kebabs in Germany are made of flattened meat layered on a spit and then roasted vertical.  They use something that looks like an electric razor to cut the meat, it actually has taste and texture of real meat.  
    On the other hand most of the gyros are more like a sausage on a spit and that is why the texture is so different, truly mystery meat.  Most of it has as much relation to a real cut of meat as Arby's has to roast beef.

Gerhard
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2013
    Options

Not sure about the Berliner version, but did these recently and eggstremely pleased with the dish.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148874/full-moon-chicken-adana-kababs#latest

• Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    Options

Well up here in the eastern "Great White North"  we spell it Donair.

and like gerhardk stated it is roasted vertical, one thing he didn't mention it is also double ground beef, so before it goes on the vertical spit it has the consistency almost like a pâté.

almost every pizza shop here makes there own donair meat from a different set of spices so each shop has very different tastes but they all have the same texture.

the donair "knife" is an electric knife that shaves the cooked meat, on the outside, in very thin pieces. we then put the meat on pita bread with fresh tomatoes, onions and donair sauce (made from canned milk, sugar and vinegar).

a Gyro has very different taste and texture. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donair#Canada