Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Gasketless folks - Help

2»

Comments

• I've been "commando" for about 8 months now... no problems. 

I too lose some smoke at felt level... but have no trouble with temp control. Cooked an 17 lb brisket at 220 for 26 hours with no fluctuation. I have the Nomex gasket sitting in a "to do" box. The last two gaskets died during pizza cooks. I also do alot of clean burns... about once..maybe twice a month. Those also burn up the gaskets.

My dome also lists...I'm still working on that issue... but I think it has more to do with the carriage bolts than the lack of gasket.

As far as the probe wrapping goes, I had to replace my DigiQ grid probe... after a year of faithful service. I wrap both grid and meat probes faithfully to extend the life of the probes....but ultimately, they fail.

BOOMER!
    ·
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,783
    the last clean burn killed off whatever gasket was left - the smell was horrendous.

Garnerville, NY
    ·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    Proper dome adjustment is key to a good seal, and to keeping the gasket alive longer. It takes a lot of fiddling with the hinge and carriage bolts and the little nuts on the side of the band. I adjust mine whenever it starts to leak smoke from the seam.
    ·