Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasketless folks - Help

Options
2»

Comments

• smokinsooner
    Options

I've been "commando" for about 8 months now... no problems. 

I too lose some smoke at felt level... but have no trouble with temp control. Cooked an 17 lb brisket at 220 for 26 hours with no fluctuation. I have the Nomex gasket sitting in a "to do" box. The last two gaskets died during pizza cooks. I also do alot of clean burns... about once..maybe twice a month. Those also burn up the gaskets.

My dome also lists...I'm still working on that issue... but I think it has more to do with the carriage bolts than the lack of gasket.

As far as the probe wrapping goes, I had to replace my DigiQ grid probe... after a year of faithful service. I wrap both grid and meat probes faithfully to extend the life of the probes....but ultimately, they fail.

BOOMER!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    the last clean burn killed off whatever gasket was left - the smell was horrendous.

Garnerville, NY
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    Proper dome adjustment is key to a good seal, and to keeping the gasket alive longer. It takes a lot of fiddling with the hinge and carriage bolts and the little nuts on the side of the band. I adjust mine whenever it starts to leak smoke from the seam.