Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Gasketless folks - Help

2»

Comments

• I've been "commando" for about 8 months now... no problems. 

I too lose some smoke at felt level... but have no trouble with temp control. Cooked an 17 lb brisket at 220 for 26 hours with no fluctuation. I have the Nomex gasket sitting in a "to do" box. The last two gaskets died during pizza cooks. I also do alot of clean burns... about once..maybe twice a month. Those also burn up the gaskets.

My dome also lists...I'm still working on that issue... but I think it has more to do with the carriage bolts than the lack of gasket.

As far as the probe wrapping goes, I had to replace my DigiQ grid probe... after a year of faithful service. I wrap both grid and meat probes faithfully to extend the life of the probes....but ultimately, they fail.

BOOMER!
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,462
    the last clean burn killed off whatever gasket was left - the smell was horrendous.

Garnerville, NY
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    Proper dome adjustment is key to a good seal, and to keeping the gasket alive longer. It takes a lot of fiddling with the hinge and carriage bolts and the little nuts on the side of the band. I adjust mine whenever it starts to leak smoke from the seam.