Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Green Eggs and Ham

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,058
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
Well, sort of.  The eggs weren't the green part, and it was Canadian Bacon, not ham.

The CB was from a loin I cured and smoked on the Egg.

This is still a recipe in progress.  The flavors were very good, but the avocado was not as soft as I wanted.  I had two ripe alligator pears I was preparing for this, but when I opened them they looked nasty, so I went to the store and did this with two that were not as ripe as I liked.  I thought they would bake soft, but they were still a bit hard.  Next time I will try 1) more ripe, 2) bake the avocado for a while before I fill them, or 3) scramble things up more like a quiche. 

Halved avocados, filled with a raw egg, CB, cheese and tomato.  Done indirect at 400, with the expectation it would take 20 minutes.  It took a whole hour for the eggs to be done enough.

I did a sprinkle of peri peri flakes on mine.

Again, flavors were great, but the texture needed more baking.  We want to try some variant of this with chili and pulled pork.  First time I ever did anything to cook an
 avocado. 

Pasquali Luciano
Buon appetito to all the BGE family
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

Comments