Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EggCessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to stock out store with useful accessories for the BGE. What add-ons are a must? Tools? Drip pans? Thermometers? Rubs? Woks? Help us stock up the right way the first time. And what doesn't work?

[ul][li]http://TheWoodburners@TheWoodburners.com[/ul]

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Karl,
    you'll get a ton of stuff suggested, i'm sure, and they all know their accessories better than I do.
    but the one thing you absolutely need, if you really want to sell the egg well, is experience using it.[p]many of us bought our eggs despite the fact that the dealer we purchased it from had no idea what he/she was talking about. we had done research here on the forum and were going to buy it anyway.[p]though to me, that means a dealer could sell many more if the seller had experience and could talk more about the egg than simply wave a hand in its general direction.[p]if you can invest a little time (maybe you already have) in firing up and cooking on the egg, you'll be in a much better position to sell. hopefully you have and use one yourself... [p]good luck

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    While we are not pros, we cook on the egg every Saturday at the store, rain or shine. And, we expect to learn a lot more at our PA Egg Fest. We were just wondering if and what we should have on our shelves that mattered. No need to carry anything you are getting at CosCo's, or Sam's Club.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Karl,
    that's great to hear. you'd be amazed to hear how many dealers are ignorant about their product.[p]sa i said, i think you'll get a ton of suggestions from the others here. i'm the wrong guy for accessories... my ash tool is a $2 spatula that I bent into a shovel... hahahaha[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Karl,[p]Some of this may have to do with the types of customers you will have. Are they going to look online for all of their extras or will they buy from your store. You are on the right track if you do want them to buy extras from you. Have a great selection of items, great customer service and keep em comin back. Some of the easy pieces are BGE extras and others can be found elsewhere. I would stick to the items they can't find easily elsewhere.[p]These are just some of my personal thoughts on items that would make a great selection:[p]plate-setter
    baking/pizza stone
    ash tool
    grid lifter
    grid extender
    bge covers
    fish/veggie grill[p]Lawn Ranger Tools (generic) wouldn't be a bad idea and an eye catcher in a store![p]http://www.lawnrangerbbq.com[p]good selection of rubs - I would talk to Dizzy Pig[p]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com[p]variety of wood chunks
    wood planks
    charcoal
    starter cubes, etc
    grilling type cookbooks aren't a bad idea especially if someone is considering a BGE as a gift.[p]

wireless thermometer isn't a bad idea
    drip pans can be found anyplace
    woks, cast iron pans are easily found[p]
    Good Luck![p]B o B[p]
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    I would add Thermopen thermometers.[p]Also a good line of gloves. Cooks Illustrated recently rated the Kool-Tek as best. They are spendy.[p]A high end line of charcoal like Wicked Good or extruded Coconut.[p]Toy Man
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]I think as long as you can obviously make $ and keep it in the same range as customers might find it elsewhere you could expand further (thermapens are great!). [p]Worst case is that as long as you don't compete with yourself you can even offer suggestions outside of your store. I know customers appreciate someone who offers suggestions outside of their own doors if they don't carry an item (or even if they do). I think you'll find that your customer service will keep customers coming back as much as your wide selection will![p]Your customers will also help to guide you to the items they'll need most as well...
  • Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    Options
    stike,
    "you'll get a ton of stuff suggested, i'm sure, and they all know their accessories better than I do.
    but the one thing you absolutely need, if you really want to sell the egg well, is experience using it." [p]One of the greatest selling techniques I use is experience. The customer can hear the enthusiasm in my voice and can ask questions about how I use the BGE. I have made many sales because I knew what I was talking about. I suggest taking one home and using it regularly or even cook your lunch everyday on the one at work. The smell and possibly samples for customers, as well as much needed experience, will get the customers interested.[p]Julie[p]

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Karl,
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, I would recommend:[p]1) Electric charcoal starter from BGE. While a lot of folks on here prefer the MAPP torches for speed, the electric starter is pretty darn handy and doesn't involve the crazy sparking that comes with torch use (which a lot of people are understandably apprehensive about).[p]2) Spanek vertical chicken and turkey roasters. They're pretty popular, and really cook poultry well.[p]You could also add V-racks and/or rib racks, but those items are often available elsewhere, so I don't know how much it would help your business to carry them.

• cbs
    cbs Posts: 99
    Options
    My dealer is BBQ Outfitters here in Austin. (512)347-1988. You might call them and ask them for advice. They are great, know a lot about the egg, and I'm sure they'd be willing to exchange ideas with you.