Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Which bourbon?

2»

Comments

• 500500 Posts: 1,718

Try Forty Creek.  It's a Canadian Blend.  Visited the distillery while at Niagara Falls On The Lake this past Summer.  tasty
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448

Goody Goody in the Colony, I have found them to beat everybody's prices. Might have to try the 1835. They have another Texas Bourbon in Goody called Rebecca something, dont remember.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982

Rebecca Creek is ok. I'm not a big fan of "spirit whiskeys", though.

" 'Spirit Whiskey' as a combination of at least 5 percent whiskey and neutral spirit, i.e., vodka. " Usually done by a new distillery who hasn't been in business very long and doesn't have a lot of aged whiskey on hand. Seagram's Seven is kinda the same thing with 25% whiskey and 75% grain spirit. Ever since I heard that, I've kinda been staying away from "spirit whiskeys"

I found 40 creek to be too sweet for my tastes. I feel the same way about Crown Royal.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,063
    IrishDevl said:
    Put them all down and grab a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch
    That will be next time. Have to go out and buy it.

into (and it's almost gone - big sigh) 12 year old Aberlour double cask Highland single malt - very nice for "cheap" scotch. 
    I wouldn't put cheap I parentheses. My stuff is usually 10-20 more. I will need to give that a try.

I usually like Islay single malts (Caol Ila 18 or Lagavulin 16) but I have recently enjoyed Bushmills 16yo single malt which was amazingly good ($65 on Amazon). Found a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition which I might get into this weekend.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    caliking, your "scope of practice" involves excellent taste, good sir.
    ·
  • tyenic1tyenic1 Posts: 149
    I love 40 creek. Not to spendy either. It's a good change of pace from my Pendelton.
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited January 2013
    Griffin said:

Rebecca Creek is ok. I'm not a big fan of "spirit whiskeys", though.

" 'Spirit Whiskey' as a combination of at least 5 percent whiskey and neutral spirit, i.e., vodka. " Usually done by a new distillery who hasn't been in business very long and doesn't have a lot of aged whiskey on hand. Seagram's Seven is kinda the same thing with 25% whiskey and 75% grain spirit. Ever since I heard that, I've kinda been staying away from "spirit whiskeys"

I found 40 creek to be too sweet for my tastes. I feel the same way about Crown Royal.

Cool, wont waste  my money on it then. I find that after drinking makers and weller, Crown tastes like water. Just remember its never too early for Early Times, LOL
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,718
    What I learned about Forty Creek from the distillery tour was this;  They distill rye, barley, and corn separately, and age them separately for 6 to 10 years, then blend them together when they are right individually.  Then they are aged in used Sherry barrels for another 6 months before bottling.  That's why there is no "aged X years" on the label.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·