Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New here! DIY Stainless table questions....

I've been oggling my dad's egg for a few years now.  He called me yesterday and said, "Merry Christmas Danielle, go buy yourself a Large BGE on me."

Best. Dad. Ever.

Needless to say, I've been eating up all of your posts since.  My biggest concern at the moment is a home for my new baby.  My dad said he'd buy me an egg and a nest... but, I was thinking that for the $141 price tag of a nest, I could spend a little bit more and get something way better for the money.  I found a used stainless steel kitchen prep table (7 feet long!) on Craigslist for $200.  Before I buy it, I'd like to know a few things:

1.) How do I cut it?  I've read on other threads that I should use a plasma cutter but that's just not feasible.  Other people say a jig saw will do it but my father-in-law (the owner of the jig saw I would be using) looked at me like I had three heads when I suggested it would cut stainless.  If you used a jig saw, what blade did you use and how many did it take?  Did it work? Tips?

2.) Do I need to put anything under my egg or can it just sit on the lower (solid) stainless steel shelf?  Will heat be an issue if I do this?  Should I put a tile or something between the shelf and the egg?

3.) I plan to get a platesetter right away.  Is there anything else I MUST have immediately?

4.) Thoughts on covers?  I live in New England...

Thanks!

Comments