Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New Years Day Butt Question

I've done pulled pork a few times in the past and it's turned out really good. But tomorrow, I'm throwing a lunch for 30 people or so and watching bowl games, so I want to make sure it the s out great. I have two 10 lb Boston butts to throw on my large tonight. If the lunch starts at noon, and I want to cook some ribs before people get here, how should I plan this? With 20 lbs pork on a Large Egg, how much time should I allow to make sure they are done by 7-8am, assuming I FTC after I pull them off the Egg, while the ribs are cooking? Or, should I cook ribs today before the Butts go on, and just warm them up tomorrow? I've never reheated ribs like that before...would that dry them out too much?
Athens, GA

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,847
    Each butt will cook at their own pace so if you can monitor both as you get close-I would follow your sequence-butts, FTC then ribs.  Your butts will cook as 10# butts (not 20) so you have a few options depending on the dome temperature you want to run with.  Since you have done some before use that as a guide-I would err on trying to have them done no later than 6 AM to give you some margin.  If you run with around 250-260*f on the dome you can expect around 1.5-2.0 hrs/#; if you go up to the 300+/- on the dome you can expect around 1-1.25hrs/# but the butt is in charge.  Just have plenty of adult beverages in case you run a little long.  Good luck.
    Louisville
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 426
    Awesome. Thanks. So you don't think the ribs would be good cooked today and reheated prior to eating tomorrow? That would make my life a lot easier, but quality and taste take precedence over convenience. I want this to be good.
    Athens, GA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,847
    I have not reheated ribs so didn't look at that-but to your point-getting them done today opens quite a window for you.  If you do "wet" ribs you could likely get away with cooking them today and warming them in an oven (around 160-170*F) with your sauce added then.  "Dry" ribs may be problematic-perhaps a ribs eggspert will be along. 
    Louisville